Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What I Did On My Summer Vacation


I had an awesome summer vacation. Which is why I haven't been here. :) I've been playing in Michigan (enjoying that 12 hour drive to and from the Great Lakes state. NOT.), swimming every single day, going to various water parks, spending time with great friends and family, taking a hot air balloon ride with my grandma -- how incredible is that?? -- going to numerous county fairs and in general goofing off. And along the way I met the most incredible woman.



I guess it was sometime toward the end of July that we met, and we totally connected. She is funny, smart, energetic, kind, doesn't take herself too seriously. She knows how to have fun and really laughs with her kids. I watched her roll down a hill with her three kids and they just ate it up; they couldn't get enough. They had a tickle fight that brought tears to my eyes. I caught her totally flirting with her husband one evening, catching him completely off guard.


One day I sat down and really took a good, long hard look at her and asked her, "How did you get here? How do you do this?" She looked back at me from the mirror, smiled and said, "Hard, hard work. Take your meds like your life depends on it. Because it does. You trusted your instincts and changed doctors when you felt like things could be better. And look at us now. We haven't been this good, this healthy in five years. Work your program. See your counselor. Count your blessings. Enjoy. Laugh. Live. Finally, live."


So that's what I'm doing. It was a damn fine summer folks.


Kim

2 comments:

  1. What great advice from your friend.

    So the blood test was tough for Violet because she wouldn't sit still. Josie just whimpered through it, but was a champ. Good luck if you do it. Would they do a blood test or a skin test?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool. Makes me even more excited to meet you soon! You are amazing - my kinda mom.

    ReplyDelete