Monday, December 19, 2011

And A One And A Two . . .

This weekend I got up on stage. And danced. At 39. In front of hundreds of people.

Yeah, I did that.

In full make up and Victorian dress.

And it was SO much fun!

The dress? Not so much fun. It was purple and stripey and added at least 40 pounds. It made me sweat like a 'whore in church' as the saying goes. I thought I looked OK, then I saw a picture of me and I said, out loud and in front of children, "Holy Hell!"

Yeah, it was that bad.

But the being on stage and pretending to be at a fancy party in the opening scene of The Nutcracker, being all elegant (snort) and dancing? So fun. I had a veteran 'husband' who totally knew what he was doing. He was all swooshy with his arms and knew when to walk and point at the tree so then I knew as well.

But the dress? Holy Hell!

The girls were in The Nutcracker as well. They had a blast, and were beyond cute. Sarah was the littlest angel and so got to give flowers to 'her' Sugar Plum Fairy. The crowd ate it up. It made me cry.

But my dress? O.M.G

I got to watch professional dancers leap and pirouette in beautiful costumes. See amazingly well defined male legs in amazingly tight tights. I got to see my favorite dancer, Ryan, come back from college and perform.

Want to see the dress? You'll die.

Also, since I am SO incredibly pale I had to wear an incredible amount of blush so I wasn't a white orb floating on stage. Hence the Drag Queen look. My girls? Adorable. Take a look.



 

 

 

My Make up:

[caption id="attachment_1710" align="alignleft" width="225" caption="Doesn't even do it justice."][/caption]



[caption id="attachment_1709" align="alignright" width="224" caption="No words."][/caption]


 

18 comments:

  1. First of all I LOVE when people say 'sweating like a whore in church' it always makes me giggle like a little girl! Thanks!

    And the dress, well, yea, it's kinda tragic. But thank you for being brave enough to share it. Sounds like you had an awesome time! Lovin' the drag queen blush too!! lmao

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! How fun. I would absolutely LOVE to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally looking forward to the day that I'm on stage with my kids, in some capacity or other . . . hopefully not wearing a 40 pound dress, though (but, I would).

    I'm glad to hear that a good time was had by all . . . and that you're not above looking at well-defined legs (honestly, looking at well-defined legs is a big part of why I run marathons)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Kim! How did you get roped into it? I made it through how many years hahahahahah And the sweat like a whore in church comment.. precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE THAT DRESS.

    :)

    I certainly hoped someone taped this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I miss being in theatre productions! I am jealous... dress and all! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that someone taped it!
    I have two left feet and a broken back so I don't think that anyone would ask me to partake in anything involving dancing...well I would hope that they wouldn't ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Y'all look great!! But having so much fun is the best part! :) And, uhm, you liked the amazingly tight tights?! Because I saw some photos a friend of mine took at the Nutcracker this year and I was, well, disturbed slightly. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol, my children look great, I look like I just gained 40 lbs! I enjoyed the legs in the tights, nothing else :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shut your mouth. :)
    And it's on DVD, preserved for.ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss Anna Marie smiled at me, and I could not resist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. John, the dress did not weigh 40 lbs, it added 40 lbs to my figure :) I would have much preferred a heavy dress. And the well defined legs up there were a bonus, that's for sure. Keep running those marathons, your wife will appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 'tragic' LMAO. Yeah, that is the only way to describe it! Next year I'm doing it and getting a dress with a nipped in waist, no way around it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh, I wish I'd been there to see this. Bet it was epic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. the picture doesn't do the dress justice. It really was worse than that.

    ReplyDelete