Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Color of Friendship

Violet is 8 1/2.

During the last presidential race, she knew that a black man or a white woman would be in the White House. Honestly, I didn't care who won because the thought that she was growing up in a world where we could have a black man as president or a white woman as vice president thrilled me.

Obama won. I was thrilled - politics aside. My children will grow up knowing that anything is possible. And isn't that what we want?

Today she is watching a movie on Disney called "The Color of Friendship."  In it, a wealthy, white South African girl travels to the United States as an exchange student. Her host family is a black family, who's father is a congressman - who speaks openly about apartheid. It's also set in 1977

They thought they were getting a black South African family. She thought she would be living with a white family.

They do not get along.

Violet is so very confused by this -- Praise the Lord.

She asked me why the girl wasn't getting along with the family, why they seemed so angry. So I had to explain. She looked at me and said, so innocently, "But what does the color of your skin matter? It's just . . . your skin."

Yes baby, it is.

Mission: Accomplished.