Monday, July 9, 2012

Competitive Much?

I am not that competitive. Honest. And when it comes to my kids and sports I work at being even less competitive because I first want my kids to have fun, then be good at a sport/activity.

Or so I thought.

Tuesday night the girls had a swim meet and they <em>love</em> swim meets. Sarah looks like she's wrestling alligators in freestyle and violet is so busy smiling as she does backstroke that she barely placed in the first two meets. But we all have fun and that's all I care about.

*snort*

Then Violet got bumped from a race by another swimmer on our team. Which is completely fair- the other girl swam faster in time trials.

Then Violet touched the wall before the other girl. Only the timers didn't call it that way.

Oh, I'm competitive.

I was all whisper angry to my friend. All, "what? Violet's score doesn't count? She touched first! It counts! Second place! She took second!"

Cue total junior high behavior.

Then the other girls mom came to me, all loudly mad and rolling her eyes. And said, "I don't know why they called my daughter in before yours. Violet had that race."

Oh.

Then I was beet red and horrified at my behavior. Thankfully only my friend Tonya heard my juvenile rant.

Competition stinks. Or perhaps I totally stink at competition.

5 comments:

  1. Apparently the political crap is starting even at their age, sorry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm competitive, and so is my husband. It's been passed down to Buddy. Thankfully, so far, Buster is unaffected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm not understanding something here -- was there a timer malfunction, or did Violet not hit the wall hard enough, or did something else happen? Because something is, seriously, not making sense. If Violet touched first, everybody should be concerned with why the equipment failed and the wrong person got selected for the team.

    I'm not overly competitive. I try my best, and if I get beat, I get beat. But, if I get beat because of someone else's screw-up? Then, um, I get a tad pissed off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess the timer made a mistake, and the other mom could see it. Violet had already qualified for the Championships so I didn't worry about it after the mom said that to me. And Violet doesn't know. And YES I agree with you, if I get beat b/c of somebody else's screw up I'm soooo mad. Which is probably why I was so angry this time. Normally I wouldn't even notice , but the race was close etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very competitive...and when someone else screws up, I will go ape shit on them. Sorry about Violet. She deserved the win.

    ReplyDelete