Wednesday, August 29, 2012

3 1/2 Years . . . You've Come A Long Way, Baby

September marks the 3 1/2 year 'anniversary' of my first stay in a mental hospital. July 2013 will mark four years. Each September, as the kids start back to school I'm flooded with memories of the day I fell apart and went in that first time. I was obviously a complete mess, but I honestly didn't know it at the time. It wasn't until I was laying in my bed, sobbing and begging my friend to let me go to sleep and never wake up that I truly realized how much trouble I was in.

My memories of that time period, when I was so sick, are fuzzy at best. But that day is crystal clear, burned into my brain.

The day started like any other day. My husband took Violet to school and I muddled through the morning with Sarah and John. I didn't get dressed. I may have dressed them, but it's very likely that I declared the day a 'pajama day' as an excuse to not get anyone dressed.

I made the kids breakfast and then left them to play while I sat on the sofa. They dumped out a box of Quaker Oat Squares all over the floor and then broke my favorite pie dish -- how they got to said dish I have no idea.

And that? Was it.

I broke. I lost it. I started crying and couldn't stop.

I put them down for a early nap and contemplated all the meds I had at hand.

I looked at myself in the mirror and didn't recognize the shattered woman staring back at me. She was unshowered, greasy, and red faced. Heavier than I remembered, with messy hair and sloped shoulders. Lines were etched around her mouth and eyes.

My eyes. How they haunt me. I study my reflection still, looking for any traces of those eyes.

By the grace of God, I decided to call my friend, Jen, instead of taking any pills. I crawled into bed and sobbed to her about the feeling of hopelessness, the feeling that nothing in life was good -- and how that didn't make sense. I had three beautiful children. A loving husband. How could I not feel happy?

But the truth was I hadn't felt joy, happiness, anything, in months.

She talked me into calling my husband or perhaps she called him. This part I don't remember. I  do remember her staying on the phone with me until he got home. She told him what to do, where to take me.

And he did.

I spent three days in the hospital. I cried for a day in the half.

I faked my way through it, that stay.

And it didn't take.

9 months later I'd be back.

22 comments:

  1. ((hugs)) I am sorry you have to face this every year but so, so glad that you are facing it - and determined not to ever see those eyes again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad that you received help at that time & thankful that they saw the need to fight for you again 9 months later. sending love to you xxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. I am currently battling PPD and feel very alone. I know its temporary but they can't seem to get my medications right and I keep having panic attacks. Thank you for writing about it. I'm not alone and will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, you're NOT alone. I'm so glad you realize this!I think that alone helps some. I know the med thing is SO frustrating. I still have to adjust my mends frequently, so I completely understand. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Devon. And you know, I've never looked at it this way before, that we saw the need to continue getting me help by going back in, and that was a good thing. Thank you for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Diana. I'm surprised this year by how much I've been thinking about this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing that you're sharing this here. Love, EC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Much love to you - there is nothing braver than sharing the truth. Courage, confidence and honor my love. We are human we are far from perfect, as moms we don't have all of the answers. We don't have the time to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, I think you're amazing. Beyond amazing. And I think it's even greater that you can share this with people!

    This last pregnancy, I was so worried that I would have PPD once it was all over. And I would tell myself, "If I do, then I can facebook/text/email Kim & she can tell me what to do." Seriously. I thought that all the time. Your blog & your stories have a profound influence. I hope you know that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hugs to you. Was thinking about you this morning while still in bed not sure why. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing Kim. You have done amazing!
    Hugs, Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm absolutely in awe of your honesty. And so thankful you called a friend. I've had small moments like this. Especially in the first year with three under three. But nothing of your magnitude. I'm so inspired by your candid words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't we try so hard to be perfect? We set ourselves up so many times. Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, Kate. Thank you so very, very much. Your words mean so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I miss you too! We really need to schedule a time to see each other. Thank you for thinking of me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks you, Shannon. I don't know about amazing, but I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 3 under 3! Wow. I had 3 under 4 and that was pretty darn tough -- hence some of my problems. Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Im glad you're writing about this! You're strong and full of life. Thank. God!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post is so brave...and it will help so many.

    I'm so sorry you have this as a part of you, but so glad to hear how strong you've gotten.

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete