Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I Prefer The Word 'Breast'

My child says  the word 'breast.' And I'm totally fine with that. But that's not the story I want to share with  you. Oh no. The story I want to share with you is the one where another mom is not fine with her child saying the word breast. In fact she is anything but fine. She is all kinds of not fine.


I mentioned here that I taught special education for three years. I absolutely loved it. The kids were amazing and I learned something from them every single day. What I did not love? The parents.  Wait, wait, wait. Don't get all judgey. Let me explain. Most of the impairments that I dealt with were the kind you call 'familial.' Which means that most likely Grandma and Grandpa were slightly impaired, and had a child. Said child married another child like themselves. And they in turn had a child. Follow me? So the parents I saw every day were not always fully cognizant. They were not always on my side. They did not really understand the need for proper nutrition, clothing, diapering, behavior, hygiene, etc. It was an uphill battle. Not all the parents were like this, obviously. But most were, yes. I quickly learned that if I wanted to stay sane (a relative term, I understand)  I had to keep a sense of humor about these parents. I had to deal with them gently but state the expectations firmly. 


So. One day, a parent came to me, Becky. Becky and I had a long history at this point. And it was not a good one. Just a few high lights:

* My first meeting with Becky found her in a sports bra, sheer prairie skirt, no underwear, and massively pregnant. Also? She was a very large woman. And she kept dipping her hands into her skirt to rub her lower belly.

* My first home visit to Becky's house. I'm pretty sure something was dead in there. I couldn't see it, but I know. I moved a pile of clothes to sit, then saw the dirt under them, and promptly moved them back for a barrier. There was a piece of sausage on the floor. A baby was crawling around. I assumed that when you live this way you don't really know you do. Like, you're blind to it. But as the baby grabbed the sausage, Becky snatched it out of his hand, smacked him and tossed it out of his reach, saying,


"Don't eat that! That's from dinner like a week ago! David threw it on the floor and it's been there since!"


 Note that she knew when it had landed on the floor, yet had not thrown it away nor did she throw it away then.

* Becky got a job at the local grocery store. In the bakery. Baking cakes. Don't ask me how, I have never understood this part. I went into the grocery store. I saw her mixing dough with her gloved arm, mixing that dough, up to her unshaven, unwashed armpit. I left very, very fast.  This is for real. I could not make this up. The stores sales of cakes, doughnuts etc dropped so much, they had to 'let' her go. (I mean, she was 'known' in the community. She was kind of hard to miss.)

* We had to mark David, her son, diapers' with a big 'X' on them to prove that they were ours. We'd put him in one of our diapers at 12:30 p.m on a Monday and he'd return on Tuesday at 12:30 with the same diaper on. We knew it was the same diaper because we had marked it with that great big 'X.' And I told Becky we were doing this, told her we were tracking how often his diaper was being changed.


 Back to the original point. Becky came to me one day. I was standing outside my classroom when she thrust herself in front of me and demanded,


 "Did you teach my kid the word 'breast?' Because we don't use that word!"


Remember, I taught 3 and 4 year olds with various impairments. Anatomy? Not a big subject. We concentrated more on, "My name is" and toilet training, walking, proper letter sounds etc. I assured her that no, I had not taught David, the word breast. She persisted that I had. I finally reminded her that David was in a class of 8 children, 4 of whom were non-verbal. It took me 3 months to teach David his name. I was pretty sure David didn't learn the word 'breast' in passing. She persisted. Finally, I said,


 "Becky. If one of the students had asked what that particular body part was, yes, I would have used the word 'breast.' But no student did."


Becky took a deep breath of victory and yelled at me,


"I knew it. You taught him breast. And we don't use that word in my house. We use the word 'teet' or 'tit.' Because a 'teet' could be anything. But I like the word tit. So if he asks, use it."


And she walked away.

Reactions?? (because really? I prefer the word 'breast')

Kim

14 comments:

  1. OMG. Seriously? Bless you for dealing with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I shouldn't be laughing about this but common...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh wait.. I typed than I was thinking.. I meant.. Come on! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. And again... *I typed FASTER than I was thinking

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFLMAO! I just love your stories.

    I use the word chest, hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breast - SO much better. It sounds more respectful and to me.. i don't know. tit sounds derogatory, like something some asshole on a sitcom sitting on a ratty couch watching the game with a beer in his hand and a piece of pizza resting on his gut would use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well she sounds interesting to say the least.

    All I have to say is, gross and what are we? Barn yard animals? Seriously... teet sounds like we're referring to a cow and tit is how some guys (not the classiest ones) refer to women's breasts.

    I would have no patience to deal with those kinds of people! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diana @Hormonal ImbalancesNovember 10, 2010 at 12:30 PM

    ::dies::

    And you guys weren't good friends? She sounds amazing. Huh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I hear 'teet' I think of cows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephanie @ Confessions of a Trophy WifeNovember 10, 2010 at 3:26 PM

    Oh sure, that makes perfect sense. Breast = bad word. Tit = acceptable. Sounds about right to me. [insert sarcasm]

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH.MY.GOD. With all of the obvious issues that this woman had within her family and her household, this is what she gets worked up about? I assume that she was mentally ill. Funny but also sad for the kids. We prefer the terms bee-bo in this house :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. *head!desk* I understand the situation but come on. Reminds me of a story a friend's mother told us; she also worked with special ed kids.

    This one former student of hers came up to her at an open house the school was having and she had just had a baby. My friend's mom asked what she named the baby and she said the name, pronounced "shi-daide." Spelling you ask? SHITHEAD.

    ReplyDelete
  13. um.
    teet?
    tit?

    people. and this is from the one flashing her kid ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You said this was a story of lightness!

    This story makes me sad. I have known Becky, or at least people like her. Many.

    Sigh.

    And of course . . . breast is best.

    Snort!

    ReplyDelete