Wednesday, November 24, 2010

So Much To Be Thankful For

Edit:  After thinking about think post, I realized I left some people out becuase I thought, "They know how thankful I am. I tell them all the time." Right? No. So I'm fixing that. You don't have to read. It's my blog, I've decided, so I can make this as long and weepy as I want.

This morning as I was checking my blog roll, the first update was from my amazing friend Keren at Keren: Up Close  it inspired me, and brought me to tears (at 7:40 in the morning). Go check it out. She's a brand new blogger and awesome. Her post thanks some of her friends for what they've brought into her lives. I'm one of them. To say that I was shocked when I saw my name . . .I burst into tears. And immediately decided that she was a genius and the most thoughtful, kind person I know. So I'm copying her (thoughtful and kind, no?) and doing the same for my post today.

To my husband. You have been my rock and soft place to fall for 10 years, but especially the last two. I am so thankful that I chose wisely and you are mine. I would be lost, blind and wandering in pain without you. Our family is strong because of you. Thank you.

Dear Trish, You listened to me rant and ramble about important things and insane things consistently for 6 years. You've watched my kids, and I yours. You've listened to me cry and let me. You've also let me call you and say those dreaded words, "I'm in the hospital." But you didn't leave. Your strength is inspiring. I'm forever grateful. I'm so thankful that we will be 80, feeble and talking about our favorite books together.

Karen. You take no prisoners, and have taught me to do the same. I can be so timid. You make me stronger. You love fiercely and because of your heart I have learned how to do the same. When I told you of my hospital visit I expected you to run screaming into the night. You just said, "Be at Olive Garden at 2 O'clock. Don't be stupid." If you think I don't remember that and think of that often, well, don't be stupid.  Thank you.

Dear Keren, You  have standards and morals that I admire and strive to teach my children. Can you please stay 22 so my kids can hang with you? Thank you for your kindness and generosity of spirit. And also for watching American Idol with me from Texas to Delaware, online, when nobody else would.

Darling Linda. oo[ ] You have taught me more about being comfortable with me and who I am than anybody ever has. I've learned many skills from you. You are so completely honest, and that honesty is so refreshing and fun! You, too have standards and morals I want to catch and bottle. Oh, those and your giggle. Best.laugh.evah! Thank you for bringing me laughter and lightness.

Dear Micki, You and I have been said to share a brain. There has never been a bigger compliment to me! I am thankful for your brutal honesty and loyalty. I disappeared from our friendship for so long. When I picked up the phone and called you, you were there. You helped deliver two of my babies. You coached me so well, I will forever be grateful for that. Coming back to our friendship is one of my greatest joys of healing. I am beyond thankful that you are here and you waited for me. Thank you.

Kerry. Thank you for giving my brother joy, hope, a smile, laughter and love. When I first asked him about you, over the phone, I knew. I got off the phone and told my husband, "Bryan is in love! He's found the one!" You are more than the one. You rescued him when he didn't know he needed to be rescued. You brought back laughter to his life. You gave him fun, happiness, joy at the little things in life. He blossomed because of you. I can never thank you enough for this. I found my brother because of you. Thank you.

Bryan, at my wedding we danced to "You're the Wind Beneath My Wings" because I said you were my hero. You were my hero for a very specific reason. Today you remain my hero for many, many reasons. Your love for me has never faltered, yet you do not baby me. I know you would do anything for my kids, but you make me tow the line. When you lived with us I got to know you as a man, as a friend. Thank you for letting me know you that way. I love you.

Sweetest Diana, my guru. Thank you for your brain, your intelligence, your sharing without holding anything back. You give without borders. You love without worrying. Your family has always been a part of my life because of my husband. I didn't know I'd love you. But I do. I am so thankful that your mom said, "My daughter, Diana has this thing, it's called a blog? I'll send you the address." You gave me the strength to start this endeavor, even if it was anger that spurred my first post. Thank you for your heart.

Dear Carolyn, through the years you have remained a steadfast friend, always so strong and loving. Your strength has always amazed me. Thank you for trusing me enough to share your story, your life, your love and your children with. When I look down the road I see us growing old and crazy together. Thank you.

Kendall, Thank you for always being on the go. Thank you for having impecable timing. You delivered food to me in the middle of a war of sickness when I couldn't find a soul to help me. Remember me talking to you from that upstairs window? Thank you for your grocery store trips at 9 o'clock at night to feed me and me sick family, your unwavering trust and your ability to make it look easy.

Carol, oh, dear Carol. I will never, ever forget or stop being thankful for that trip to the hospital you made. I hardly knew you, yet you answered my plea. I was a royal mess of vomit, snot, poo, nerves and tears and you came. You held John while I showered, you laughed with me at the craziness of that situation. You let me know that God is good. Thank you!!

Elaine, I know I haven't said thank you enough. You've taken my kids when I was sick and John was in the hospital. You've watched them at deer camp so I could work a little. You've brought food to family functions, dressed my kids when they've dirtied their clothes, laughed with me when I've known I was going to lose my mind if I didn't scream at someone, anyone. You've let me vent and not judged me. I've laughed at you and even insulted you and yet . . .you are here. Please forgive me. And know that I am thankful for you every.single.day.

To my family: Mom, Dad, Art, Bryan, Kerry, Elaine, Chris, Kimberly, Irene, Fred
I am thankful that I can call you mine. I will claim you as mine forever. You will never get rid of me. I am here to stay. And I am only here because of you. You held me up, you filled the voids. My thanks are never going to be enough. I promise that I will never forget  and I will strive to stay healthy. Thank you for your love, your kindness, your willingness to love me. I love you.
Some days we forget

To look around us

Some days we can't see

The joy that surrounds us

So caught up inside ourselves

We take when we should give.

So for tonight we pray for

What we know can be.

And on this day we hope for

What we still can't see.

It's up to us to be the change

And even though we all can still do more

There's so much to be thankful for

Josh Groban

Who are you thankful for? Go tell them.?

9 comments:

  1. Aww, that is so touching. You had me tearing up. Sounds like you have some wonderful friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana @Hormonal ImbalancesNovember 24, 2010 at 10:53 AM

    *tear* Thanks lady. You're pretty special yourself you know. I love our phone calls and "OMG what is it I can't open it" email freak outs. :)

    I'm SO thankful you've stuck with blogging and that you love it. You are a wonderful writer, one of those that I look forward to reading because there is always a story - always something that makes me understand a little more about you and your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim. I feel like I've known you my entire life and I truly feel you are another sister to me. I'm shocked to read how you 'see' me, but the reason I didn't run away screaming is because you are MY strength! I thank God for our friendship every day and look forward to growing old together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, I didn't realize I'd start a chain reaction but I'm happy I did. It's like I started that family tradition again because you all ARE my family. :)

    2 things, though- I've been 22 since September and it's Malorie, not Mallory. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy thanks and giving. Been trying to reply to your great comments but don't have your email. Great things to be thankful for, woman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kim! I will never get rid of you?? That's funny! You make yourself sound like a bad rash!! I would never WANT to get rid of you, silly girl! I Love You TOO!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. everyone should write a story like this to the people in their lives. We all have air to clear, thanks to give and love to share, not just you! Live with no regrets, move forward. I thank you for your wise words when I doubt my decisions regarding my family. You give me strength and ease my heart at just the right times. I made sure to tell grandma at dinner today as she complimented the food, that I learned from one of the best - her. She glowed. Thanks for idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blessed with such great people around you! This was touching

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow. I think that's the best compliment I've ever received. Thank you! You are an amazing woman who I am proud to call my friend. I am thankful for always having you in my corner, sticking up for me, consoling me and cheering me on. Although I'm terrible about keeping in touch, I know you'll always be my #1 fan!

    <3 linda

    ReplyDelete