Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Ambulances Are Boring And Have No Cool Stuff

On Sunday afternoon Sarah and I had our first -- and what had better be our last -- ride in ambulance. Yeah. Good times. She choked on a piece of hard candy. She ate lunch, I opened the candy, and the next thing I knew she was leaning over the island making a weird noise. I ran over to Sarah and she was doubled over, gagging and saying,

It hurts!

 Within seconds it was apparent that the candy was lodged deep in her throat and was not coming out. Cue complete and utter panic. She began coughing and drooling. I pounded her on the back and nothing. I yanked her off the stool and did the Heimlich. Nothing. Violet began to cry and wail. I told her to pray.

 DEAR JESUS COME AND HELP MY SISTER RIGHT NOW! HELP US! HELP SARAH NOW!

 My husband reached into her mouth and could feel the candy way back there. I know you're not supposed to do this. I know. So one part of my brain was screaming, "Stop!" But the other was screaming  louder, "Get it out, get it out, sweet Jesus get it out!" We quickly realized nothing we were doing was helping and she was only gagging more. I grabbed the phone and dialed 911. This is the only thing I did right.

I remember the 911 operator telling me to calm down and me just rattling off my address and yelling, We need an ambulance! She's choking!

 He told me to calm down a second (third?) time and I apologized, then repeated my address and told him again we needed an ambulance because my daughter was choking. He said they were dispatching one, as I was dragging Violet and John into the hallway so they weren't watching. 

Hurry, she's choking on a piece of hard candy  . . . no she hasn't lost consciousness . . . oh! She threw it all up!

 And as the candy was bouncing across the floor Sarah stood up, shook her head and said,

I'm fine now.

And tried to walk away from my husband. Uhm, no.

They sent the ambulance anyway and took us to AI Children's Hospital. I cried and shook every time somebody asked me what had happened. Sarah joyfully recounted the story and opened her mouth to show them where the candy had been stuck. She also wanted them to look  for blood, because there had been blood in the vomit and on my husbands hand when he tried to get the candy out. She kept telling everybody,

I am very brave. But I don't want anymore hard candy.

 When we finally got to see the actual doctor she announced,

I choked. But I did not die. And I am very brave. I didn't die!

 I must have looked like I was going to pass out, because after she repeated this multiple times, the doctor leaned over to Sarah and whispered,

Sarah, stop saying that. Look at your mommy and tell her 'I'm alright.'

My husband came and picked us up, and Violet and John were all curious about what had happened while we were in the hospital. John had been upset because Sarah got to ride in the ambulance and he didn't. So we asked Sarah to tell him about it. She sighed.

The ambulance was so boh-ohring.

My husband asked her what kind of stuff was inside.

Not eeven any cool stuff.

Oh. Well.

When they discharged us they gave us a paper telling us follow up instructions. This is what it said:

If the child is coughing and gagging, do nothing unless the child turns blue or loses consciousness. Then call 911 and prepare to perform back blows and the Heimlich maneuver until help arrives.

What.the.crap?

I had a nurse come back and discuss this with me. Eventually, after much questioning on my part, she confirmed my suspicions. I had done everything wrong.

Back blows and the Heimlich would only work if the airway was completely blocked, because you need the air pressure to pop the obstruction out. And obviously, never ever put your fingers in their mouth because you could push the item further down and the hospital/EMT's have super long tweezer like tools to pull the item out.

Oh My God.

I've had CPR classes. I forgot every.single.thing.

So we are sighing up for one ASAP.

 The level of panic was .. . breath taking. And for Sarah it was an adventure. I'm thankful for that. I was seriously afraid that she would be scared and we'd have a traumatized child on our hands. Turns out my husband and I are traumatized enough for all of us.

In case you had any doubts, God is indeed powerful and gracious.

Have you taken a CPR course lately?

14 comments:

  1. I love you, Sarah, and I'm so happy you "did not die"! And I'm very glad that you do not want hard candy anymore. BIG HUGS & KISSES!!! Am I'm happy for your mom & dad, now that it's over and everyone is ok, that they can find the humor in this whole ordeal. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God she was okay. How scary. I can't even imagine. When emergencies happen, it's so easy to panic and forget everything and to do everything wrong. Don't be so hard on yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana @Hormonal ImbalancesDecember 7, 2010 at 10:39 AM

    Why do doctors do this? Why do they make you feel bad about a natural reaction?

    Can you imagine the look if you told them, "Well, we all waited around and watched her choke for a while, she wasn't blue or anything so we figured she was fine..."

    :/

    I'm so glad she's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How terrifying! I'm glad she's ok. And for the record I would have done the same thing. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad everything turned out okay. Kids just bounce, dont they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank GOD she is okay. I can not even imagine how horrified you must've been in that moment, and I honestly, don't think it matters how much training you've had, if its your kid - YOU FREAK!

    When I was about 13, I had a choking incident. I had just gotten my braces and my bite was off. It was the scarest moment of my life. My Dad did exactly what you did, the back blows, the hemlich, my mom screamed...I don't know what worked, but eventually it did.

    God IS Good! :)

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am quite certain I would have done everything wrong also. So scary. Glad she is okay! I know that must have really rattled your nerves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, I took a CPR course a couple of years ago, was certified for a year and then it expired. To get certified again, you have to take another course. I know this because the school district made it mandatory for all teachers to take CPR courses, so my dad had to. What he learned was completely different than what I'd learned. They change the "proper" procedure every year but apparently what they told me to do still holds because that's what they told me and my mom- who learned many years ago- to do. I know it sounds weird but if they're coughing, it means they still have airflow, so don't do anything ESPECIALLY POUND THEM ON THEIR BACK..that can lodge whatever their choking on deeper into the throat. If they stop coughing but are still choking THEN do the Heimlich.

    I'm totally blogging in response to this. I have stories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still having nightmares about it. My sweet Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad she's ok!
    I should take CPR courses. I wouldn't even know how to do the heimlich!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I have to add . . . I have always said Violet is my little evangelist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Give yourself some credit! That was a stressful situation. I'm a nursing student. I have CPR for health care providers. But whenever I am in an emergency situation, I go immediately into panic mode. I would have had my fingers down that child's throat too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grace @ Arms Wide OpenDecember 8, 2010 at 11:45 AM

    oh.my.word. you are so brave! that is one of my worst fears as a mom!

    So glad there is a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete