Saturday, December 18, 2010

Joyful, Joyful

Today was Violet's performance in her dance school's Holiday Magic show. To say I'm impressed would be a vast understatement. It.Was.Epic. I laughed. I cried. I clapped until my hands hurt. And she was only on stage for two minutes.

I'm kidding. Kind of.

The entire show was that way. I did laugh. I did cry. I did clap until my hands hurt. 

One of the guys in the cast, R. has this great solo.  It's really good. He's an incredible dancer and I expected it to be good. Good? Uh, no. Great? Not even. I lost my breath. I teared up. He was beautiful. I've said maybe two words to him before and I was proud of him. I wanted to tell random people at the show, "My daughter danced in the show. With R in it. See what this school can do?"

The final act is The Wizard of Oz. The Wicked Witch is totally awesome. Three other moms and I sat in the audience watching her practice, saying, "I want to be her."  The third act starts and the Wicked Witch lets lose with this cackle and we are transfixed.  So is the entire house. From that moment on the Oz cast does not stop dancing. 20 minutes.  I was sweating. And itching to be 17 again, onstage and be that witch.

Violet was in "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." She got to sing with another little girl, just the two of them,  "She didn't see me creep, down the stairs to have a peek." And she nailed it.
These girls are hard workers.  In the dressing room they are all goofing around, then are called to line up. With the exception of one or two, they immediately get in line. And if you give those two the side eye, they move. So impressive.

Anyway. I'm telling you all this because I'm just so proud. This dance school is  professional. The owner, A. and her family work the entire year to put this show on. She holds us to a higher standard than other schools in the area, and I love that. Some people scoff at it, say it isn't necessary to be that 'hard core' at this age. Then at what age do you start? Do you suddenly, at 12 go, "Oh, by the way, we now expect that you to follow these rules, and generally disregard everything we've taught you up until this point."?

I'm also telling you this because if you have a child enrolled in a school like this? Of this standard? You need to support them. Show them some love. Help out even when you are not asked to. And when you say you will help out? Do.it. If you cannot do that? Then I do not want to hear one more nasty comment, see one more snarky look from you. You either man up and take some responsiblity or sit on your butt and let us do it our way -- the way A. tells us to do it.

I have a vid clip, but I have to get permission to use it first! Come back Sunday night or Monday to see the Witch and her cackle!

4 comments:

  1. Diana @Hormonal ImbalancesDecember 18, 2010 at 8:52 PM

    I REALLY like what you said about why she is in dance at this age. Absolutely - and probably one of the greatest gifts you could give Violet. Not all kids are cut out for that, but let me tell you, that's exactly what some need. A very no nonsense, structured, disciplined approach to something that rewards them at the end of it because of the work they did.
    I can't wait to see the video. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you are proud of your daughter, and I am proud of my daughter. Life is wonderful. Hard work pays off with fun and happiness. Ahhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "say it isn't necessary to be that 'hard core'"

    I've been to FAR too many recitals and other performances that were a struggle to get through without either A) laughing out loud or B) gouging my eyes and/or ears out. Granted, they are kids, but having to sit through 2 hours of a show that clearly wasn't well-practiced for has to be considered cruel and unusual punishment, no? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the video!!!

    -KAren

    ReplyDelete