Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Neurotic Mom

As a first time mom, I was very calm and relaxed. What? Shut up.  I so was.  Well, I thought I was. If you had asked me if I was neurotic I would have been offended and told you all the things I did to prove I was not neurotic. Which kind of proves I was, right? Here, peek into my brain . . .

I was not a neurotic, overly concerned, ramped up mom of one child with too much time on her hands to think because I:

*Gave my child a bath every day. And everybody knows you're not supposed to do that. But look at me, ignoring all the rules! I'm reckless!

*Because I bathed my child every day, I used lotion as well. I know. I was told lotion was a no-no, too. So I went all crazy and bought Baby lotion. All natural organic lotion that was made for new borns. Crazy!

*I did not nurse exclusively. Violet totally got bottles as well. Nipple confusion? Bah. (and I will deny that was me, running to every baby store in a 40 mile radius, looking for the 'anatomically' correct latex nipple.) I was so relaxed. (In retrospect? Nursing exclusively probably would have been less stressful than worrying about what nipple to use. She didn't care. I did.)

* I used regular detergent to was my child's clothing. Plain ole Tide. Not the Dreft that all the books scream at you about. Because I'm all crazy that way. But I may have at one time. May. And then mixed Dreft and Tide. Together. To you know, get the babies skin used to the soap.

*I may have read *ahem* studied, "What To Expect During The First Year," but when I started taking color coded notes, I threw it out.

*When I made her first cereal I didn't use distilled water. Look at me, being all loose!
I used breast milk. And would hunt you down if you tried to use something else. (did I just say that out loud?)

*I wasn't against giving my baby formula. But I hooked myself up to that da*n contraption of a milker multiple times a day, every.single.day, only to get 4 oz. of pure gold. There's some calm for you.

*I made Violet's food because it was fun, not because I felt like there weren't healthy options for her at the store. The fact that I had a freezer full of organic mashed potato and greenbeans mixed with breast milk . . . well. She was hungry? Because I.Was.Relaxed.

Oh, the list goes on and on. Things I did with the first that I laughed at with the other two. Things I did with the other two that made me say, "Why on earth did I not do this with the first?" When I became less neurotic in one area, another area popped up. I cloth diaperd Sarah and John . . . oh, sweet neurosis.

Can any mom ever be free from it?

2 comments:

  1. This is so funny. My favorite is that you mixed Tide and Dreft together. Sounds totally like something I would do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! Glad I'm not the only one with a few neurotic issues. :) How 'bout this one..I breastfed both kids, but the 2nd child literally did not have one drop of formula. Ever. And then at 14 months of age, when he went to whole milk, he had the audacity to be, wait for it, lactose intolerant. IKR? Only he isn't anymore. Yeah, I should probably write my own blog post...Thanks for the memories! And being able to loosen up enough now to find some of them humorous :)

    ReplyDelete