Thursday, January 27, 2011

Stranger Danger

I've never been called a 'helicopter parent.' I have always tried to be layed back and relaxed in my parenting style. Anyway.

Last year Violet had these little friends, twins, who called her every day after school. It was so cute. They chatted and learned how to actually hold a phone conversation. (you don't sit and watch the television, say nothing, then go, "Kay, bye.") One day Violet thrust the phone into my hand and said, "Marina and Sabrina's* mom wants to talk to you. We want to have a play date." Eventually a grown up came on the phone.

She didn't introduce herself, just said, "What day would Violet like to get off the bus with Marina and Sabrina?"

What?

I have never spoken with you. I've never laid eyes on you. I don't know your name. Know where you live. Know if you are a convicted child molester, serial killer, have Hannibal Lector living in your basement. I thought we'd get together for an afternoon coffee while our girls played, not just drop one off on the door step like a FedEx package.

There was a long, uncomfortable silence while all this played out in my head, then I cleared my throat and said, "Oh, well, we're  SO busy, it's just crazy! And with the other two kids I have? Nuts! Insane! So would it be OK with you if the girls played here?" And the woman said, "Which twin do you want to play with?"

I'm sorry? I'm going to 'choose' a twin? How would that conversation go? "Well, Sabrina, Miss Kim thinks you're going to be the best behaved, so you get to go to Violet's house. Better luck next time, Marina!" No, thank you. So I told her we'd have our play date with both twins, and wasn't I awesome?

?
Violet's 4th Birthday part.
Fancy Nancy Style
?
Great she said, which bus stop were we? She'd just write a note and the girls would get off with Violet.  She hadn't even asked my name, where I lived, or what my phone number was. So I just blurted out, "Great. Uh, what's your name? My name is Kim by the way. And would you like to know my address? So you can come pick the girls up?" She wasn't the least bit shocked by this. Like, if you'd said this to me, I would have been all, "What? Oh my gosh! I am so sorry! How did I not get that information from you??" Not this woman. She just said, "My name is Marsha, I'm the girls grandmother. I'll pick them at 6 o'clock."

The girls came over, they had a lovely time playing together. Around 5:30 the phone rang and it was the grandmother, asking for my address again. She'd lost it and didn't know where I lived.

When the mom came in to get the girls she gathered them up, smelling heavily of smoke and perfume. So much so that I had to stand away from her. I was all sorts of judgey. Yes I was.  She said Violet was welcome at her home for the next play date, which Violet heard. So all three girls began dancing around in anticipation. Uhm I don't think so. I just smiled and said, "Yes, well, your girls are welcome here anytime. We'd love to have them play here again."

Then I went all helicopter mom, and right or wrong, began not answering the phone every time they called. Only sometimes. Violet still saw them on the bus, so I didn't totally cut them out of her life. But I gradually pruned them out. A year later and they do not play together. Violet has made different friends and is fostering play dates -- with mom's who want to know me before allowing their children in my home.

Helicoptor parenting: judge away!
*names have been changed

8 comments:

  1. Diana @Hormonal ImbalancesJanuary 27, 2011 at 9:41 AM

    :D

    BWAHAHAHAHA

    I remember this story. One of my favorites.

    Sometimes, we all need to be that helicopter parent. I feel sorry for those girls, because can you imagine their life at 16. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you! I need to know (or get to know) the parents first. Thankfully most of my kids friends seem to be in our neighborhood or with kids whose parents I already know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not great about teaching my kids about stranger danger, and I was sure that that was going to be the message of this post, so before i even started reading, I was all, "Kmama...you need to talk to Buddy.". But I was wrong.

    I was floored that the mother/grandmother didn't want to get to know you first. Buddy was invited to an overnight party last year and I didn't know the person. I called and said he couldn't go, but suggested we get the boys together at McD's sometime. The mother didn't bite. It was so bizarre. I also stay at birthday parties if I don't know the parents and it's optional to stay. I want to know the kids and their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! That's just nuts. I can't say I blame you on that call! I probably would have done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that was a perfectly acceptable response! I feel bad for the twins to have such a lack of supervision & parenting, that's sad!

    Heck my mom called the parents before I went to a party or a get together until I GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL! When we were little it was her way of obviously keeping us safe & when we were older it was to make sure we KNEW that she watching & we better not do anything stupid. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always insisted that my little darlings have their friends with "interesting" home lives come to play at our place. These kids were always welcome, but it was funny how we just never got around to taking them over to to play at their homes.
    I hate to brag, but I can beat your story of parental unconcern.
    When my daughter was 14, she asked me if a friend of hers who had been kicked out of the house by her father could come and stay at our place for a while -- at least until she could finish off the school year at their high school. I wondered about how true the tale was, but agreed, since I didn't want this 14-year-old girl out on the street.
    Two weeks later, no one from her family had contacted me, although I was assured that they knew where their daughter was, so I called them. Dad said, "Oh, yeah that's right, she's at T______'s (my daughter's) house," then proceeded to tell me how much he had done for his ungrateful daughter.
    Two weeks! For two weeks this guy had no idea where his daughter was, and he didn't bother to concern himself!
    She ended up staying with us for 8 very eventful months, but I am pleased to say that as a young adult she is turning her life around, and is back in school, getting a post-secondary education. Oh, and she is going to be in my daughter's wedding party next fall!
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW. I can't even imagine. I so wouldn't be sending them to HER house. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick used to have a friend like that. He came home with him one day after school - when I had assumed after NEVER hearing from the parent that the play date fell through. but, low and behold he came home with him. I had no idea when he was going to be picked up, I didn't have her #, I didn't know if I was supposed to feed him lunch or dinner the next day and I ended up dragging him with us when we ran our errands. Unbelieveable!

    ReplyDelete