Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I Am Beyond Smart. Really.

Since I've teased my husband here for all the world to see, I think it's only fair that I show how incredibly intelligent I am. Because I am, oh I am. Some of my finer moments include: 

*My husband spilled gasoline on his clothing while mowing the lawn. A lot of gasoline. So much that he came inside, stripped off the clothes and jumped in the shower. The smell from the gas -- you know, that veryflammable liquid, was awful. It was really strong in our bedroom and I'd just got done cleaning it. (I know, the nerve!) So I lit some candles. To get rid of the smell. In case you're not following, I lit a flame to get rid of the gas. To say my husband freaked his freak out when he came out of the shower would be a vast understatement.

*When we were selling our first house, the 'staging' rage was just beginning. Everybody was just learning about it. I watched all the shows, wrote down the tips. Then staged our home. One of the ideas, for a small bathroom, was to fill the tub with water  and set a couple white floating candles in the water. It would lighten and brighten the bathroom. I put seven in my tub. It was July. The temperature in the teeny tiny bathroom quickly rose to about 80 degrees, the candles melted into the water and the wax settled onto the bottom of the tub. Where it hardened. So when the first person came to look at the house I was bent over the tub, frantically scrubbing wax off the tub.

*Sarah always has a stuffy nose. Always sneezing. Like, over the top, snotty -gross stuff here. When we were waiting for her allergy test results my mom asked if I'd changed the filter on my vacuum filter lately. Filter? I've had that vacuum for 4 1/2 years and have never seen a filter on it. She pushed a button. And there was this black thing lying there. Oh. A filter. That said should be rinsed every six months.

*When President Reagan died, my husband and I watched the funeral. Now, before I go any further, let me say this. I was exhausted -- emotionally and physically. So, in all fairness my brain was legitimately fried. Reagan is the first president I remember and it was very emotional for me, watching that funeral. As they started the 21 gun salute, I had a question. But I couldn't formulate it correctly in my head. So it came out all  . . . stupid. I said, "Do they use live ammunition for the 21 gun salute?" My husband turned to me, this look of horror on his face. Then slowly said, "Yes, yes they do. They are shelling that town. . . . NO!! What do you mean, Do they use live ammo??" This comes up weekly.

* Some of you may remember this. For those that don't. Let me explain. MommaKiss showed us a picture of a Christmas garland made by her kids out of post its. How adorable, right? So one night, as I'm attempting to make dinner and the kids are attempting to break sound records, I searched my husbands desk, found some post it notes and tossed them at the kids. The loved it. I made an awesome dinner. I took pictures of my genius. A few days later my husband found the pictures. Turns out the post its were 20 year old Star Trek post its that he saved for special occasions. (don't.get.me.started.) EPIC FAIL. I searched the Internet for days trying to find more  of these special occasion Trekkie post its. Then somebody (Hi Tara!) told me I could have some printed (Hi iprint!) Now my husband has 400 post its that say 'Make It So' on them. And I saved the desgin.

How smart are YOU?

14 comments:

  1. My brother had just left from a long weekend and the following weekend my husband and I went to see the Sixth Sense. The ride over to the theater hubby explained to me how my brother told him that until boys are the age of 13 they are NOT called actors - they are called actresses. Well, after seeing the movie and being blown away by the main character, who was, I guess about 8 or 9, I turn to my husband and say, "He was a really good actress!" My husband immediately burst out laughing and says, "You believed THAT?!" Yeah, he still laughs at that and continues to tell EVERYONE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally see Michael explaining this to you!AND you believing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have our moments. I just came back from the dentist and turned off the highway exit ramp without circling out far enough to cut around the median so I had no choice but to drive over it! I felt like an idiot and of course, a van load of workers was driving by laughing their asses off at me and probably now telling everybody about the dumb blond they watched drive over the median this morning!
    Love your new blog look! :) I've though of switching over but I don't know if I could manage it what with my blondness and all! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, that is great! Switching over has been pretty crazy, but I've had the help of an amazing blogger, Diana @ Hormonal Imbalances, so it's been much easier. She's talked me down from the edge many times. There are so many cool things you can do on WP -- I can spend SO much time here!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh,! Hover above your name on my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fantastic. And remind me of one of my recent finer moments...on Thanksgiving morning, while I was cleaning the house to get ready for company, I moved a curtain to vacuum behind it. I put it right on top of a lit candle. Luckily J saw it before it went up in flames. Talk about freaking his freak! Did I mention he's a volunteer firefighter! How would it have looked if his girlfriend burned the house down...on Thanksgiving???

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! We all have those days, although I've got to admit: I would have probably asked something similar about the salute. Because, well, I don't know crap about guns.

    And the flame thing? I've probably done something clever like that too. A few times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome!! We're all about being clean!! It's so important, and yet they totally don't understand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, the gun thing . . . I was trying to figure out if blanks sounded the same as live ammo. Totally did not come out right. You know that 'here's your sign' thing? I walked right into that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm prone to misspeak, go the wrong direction, and otherwise make a complete ass out of myself regularly.

    Most recently, I became disoriented in a public restroom and attempted to exit through a locked door that was actually a mystic portal to the men's room. My husband was taking a wiz in that very men's room and thought that someone was trying to break in. Um, that was me.

    Don't worry, I eventually found my way out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm STILL laughing at the post it thing. Seriously. Poor husband.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog is looking fab and this post was hilarious!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally thought they shot real bullets. Really. And I was loling at the candle thing. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one time, when my first-born was about 4 months old, we had a guy come out to give an estimate on doing some work on the house. The baby is asleep the whole time, IN HIS BEDROOM, and at some point the guy looks at me and says "You have a baby?". My jaw probably hit the floor. I was horrified. How did he KNOW!? Is he some kind of crazy or something? I wasn't sure I was comfortable with him being in my house any more. Much later I realize he was simply commenting because the living room was literally littered with all manner of baby gear..pack n play, bouncy seat, swing, floor gym, boppy, lord-only-knows-what-else! These things had become permanent fixtures and I totally didn't even see them anymore.

    ReplyDelete