Friday, February 18, 2011

Let's Go All The Way

Uh huh. I said it. And here's why: While driving, Sarah and I are jamming to the radio. Katy Perry's new song Teenage Dream came on (this was a while ago, obviously). I'd never heard it before, but it's one of those songs that you just instantly like to car-dance to. So Sarah and I are groovin'. Then I hear,  "Let's go all the way  . . .tonight." And I immediately flip the station. Because, that is so not appropriate for a 4 year old to be listening to. I have mostly country stations programed into my radio, so when I flipped the station, it when to a country one. And this is what I heard

Let's make love
All night long
Until all our strength is gone
Hold on tight
Just let go
I want to feel you in my soul
Until the sun comes up
Let's make love

One of my favorite songs, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw's "Let's Make Love." But in that moment, as I heard Sarah start to try to sing along, I had to question myself. What phrase was going to get her asking questions? Which words were going cause her to ask me, "What does ___ mean?"

I reached over and slapped off the radio, shutting down Faith and Tim, just as quickly as I had shut down Katy. We rode in silence the rest of the way to school.

I realized that I had two options. Option one: Not listen to secular radio. Completely edit the music I let my children listen to so that they only hear Christian groups. I did give this some serious thought. Songs like "Let's Get Drunk and Screw" and "I Need You Now" made me lean heavily this way. Because really, who wants their 5 year old singing along to, "I'm a little drunk and I need you now"?

Option two: Realize that Violet already knew all the words to Teenage Dream before I even knew she'd heard it.  Realize that I need to be more vigilant in popular music -- Violet  knew the words and I'd never even heard the song? And make sure that those lines of communication are really, really open.

But, you guys, I never, ever thought I'd be thinking of this stuff at the ages my kids are!

I let "Teenage Dream" play the next few times it came on and didn't worry. The kids rocked out. Then I heard Sarah just wailing, "Put your hands on me in my skin tight jeans I'll be your teenage dream tonight." And I threw up a little. OK, a lot.

So, now I turn the volume down when that lyric comes on. Yeah, they already know that line, so I realize, too little too late. But they've gotten used to me randomly turning the radio down. They don't ask why I'm doing it anymore. I explained that I don't like what she's saying, it's 'trashy.'

Ugh. Parenting 101. The radio is a dark and dangerous place. Bet that wasn't in any of your parenting books, was it?

15 comments:

  1. I don't even know that Katy Perry song but I can definitely see why you wouldn't want your little girl singing that mess.
    My boys have certain music they lean towards but I don't ever him them singing any of it...I think that's more of a girl thing...I know I was all about music and dancing when I was a little girl.
    You've got me thinking I should maybe pay attention more to the lyrics of the stuff they like though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there!!! Now we have kid friendly play lists on our iphones that we jam to in the car!! I haven't listened to a news station in I can't tell you how long! Luckily I can check twitter and the drudge report for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no advice. I simply take notes and prepare. Songs today are horrid, but so is everything else. We were at the mall and they had NOSERINGS that had "cum" & "slut" on them. OMG Why?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking about this yesterday. I watched a clip of James Earl Jones reading the lines to a Justin Bieber song. And those words? Were pretty bad for kids to be listening to. I don't have kids so I've never been subjected to Bieber before...thank goodness...so I went to You Tube to see what was up with JB. I can tell you that I don't like that kid and I wouldn't want him being a role model for my kids. But I also wouldn't want them listening to his music. While I was thinking about all of that I heard the words to Teenage Dream and I thought...this is a song about teenagers? Um...don't think so. Of course...one of my favorites as a kid was Eric Clapton's Cocaine...and I had no idea what I was singing. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady! You switched domains and I didn't even know!!! So, sorry I hadn't been around much. I'm back though!

    I was just thinking about that this morning, as some song was on. My kids know the lyrics more than me. It's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty much in love with Katy Perry (don't judge) and I wouldn't want my kids hearing those lyrics either, let alone singing them.

    Isn't it strange how her parents are Christian missionaries & she just had a hindu ceremony to Russell Brand?! Blows my mind...

    Anywho...I rarely listen to music in the car these days now that Lboy is in there with me, but this post has me wondering how things will be when he's older...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to only listen to kiddie music, but then started to lose my mind b/c I'm always in the car. It seems I can't win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, we have some of that in the car. But he's just not at an age where he's interested yet.

    Last March my car battery died & when it was replaced I didn't have the code to reset the radio. So I went without radio for like 7 months & people thought I was so weird (I am lol) but I just didn't think about missing it, Lboy is too noisy! haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm dealing with this issue too. Only thing is, my teenager likes stuff WORSE than Teenage Dream, if you catch my drift!
    But, I've realized something lately....I seriously believe when "THE LITTLE ONES" are singing, they don't think twice about it. They don't sit and go, "Lets go all the way? I wanna feel you in my soul....hmmmm, what exactly are they talking about." I don't think their minds analyze it like we do. They just sing along to sing along.

    Does that make it okay? HELL NO! Do I wish they would crack down on all that sex and drugs and drinking stuff in the songs? HELL YES!

    But, I realized something a few years ago...I was listening to the satellite radio and had flipped on the 70's and 80's radio station. As I sat there and actually LISTENED to words now, as an adult, I was completely MORTIFIED! Here were these songs, I listened to and sung along to countless times, but I never really LISTENED to the words!

    Granted, the lyrics are a lot more explicit now-a-days, but let's not forget this one...
    How many times have you sang Duran Duran song "Relax, don't do it when you wanna come..." Can't get much more explicit than that, but did you ever REALLY think about what they are singing as a kid/teenager?? Maybe I was naive, but I didn't.

    I'm not saying I disagree with you; and I'm not saying it isn't not an issue, because it is...I'm just saying we went through it as kids too and most of us probably didn't even realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, you just ROCKED my world w/ the Duran Duran thing. OMG. I never realized that . . . yeah. I'm so not going to freak out like I was. I mean, I'd rather they not sing the lyrics, and I'm certainly going to watch their music more closely now that they are walking around the house wailing "Put your hands on me in my skin tight jeans I'll be your teenage dream tonight." Because it just skeeves me. But it's reassuring to know that THEY don't know. Evidently *I* don't even know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, boy, Kim. You may never let Violet in my car if you knew what I let Hannah listen to... :) Sometimes we do worry over nothing, though. A song Hannah loves with a blatant F-bomb (sorry, but it's true) in it? When I heard her singing it in the house she had substituted the F-bomb with "silly" ON HER OWN. I swear!
    And now I will let the music geek in me come out...Relax is NOT by Duran Duran. It's by Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could never make it 7 months w/o a radio! How did you do it? Lboy must be quite the little entertainer! That boggles my mind. Of course, my husband only listens to talk radio and that boggles my mind, too. I need good old fashioned music. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol! I love that she just subbed in 'silly'! Smart girl! Was that "silly you"? (as in F-you?) And I love that you knew who Relax was by. I totally didn't catch that. Thinking back . . .yeah, still think it's Duran Duran. But you have the most extensive and ecclectic taste in music, and the best memory for it, so I am not at all surprised you caught that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're thinking of "The Reflex." You know, the lonely child? He's waiting by the park? THAT was Duran Duran. Oh, yes. I know my Duran Duran, haha!
    It was actually a "silly train." As in "...get on a 'silly' train and leave today." Airborne Toxic Event, anyone???

    ReplyDelete
  15. no, I meant that my music knowledge is so limited that even though you said it's Duran Duran, in my head I still *see* Simon LeBon singing it. I totally know you're right . . . but my 'memory' insists otherwise. 'cuz I'm smart that way :)

    ReplyDelete