Monday, February 7, 2011

What I Can't Live Without

Remember when I talked about what a romantic my husband is? Well, he read that post but didn't immediately say anything. Then, as I climb into bed the other night, he raises his eyebrows and says, "What, I'm not romantic? I say romantic things to you all the time." After I stopped rolling my eyes, I said, "Babe, you do not say romantic things all the time. But that's OK. I love you for other reasons."

He proceeded to attempt to argue with me. I listened to his arguments, I really did. Then I remembered a certain conversation we had back in August 2007. Right around the 23th, actually. (Yeah, it totally pays to be married to an attorney. I remember details like that *snaps fingers*)

My brother had just proposed to his now wife, Kerry. Wait, remember my proposal? Really, you must quickly read that.

So. It's around August 23, 2007. My Grandfather has just passed away and we are all gathered at my parents home in Michigan for his informal memorial service and my brothers 30th birthday. My brother gathers everyone around and makes the most heartfelt speech about true love. About watching our Grandmother and Grandfather in his last days. About how painful it would be to watch your soul mate die, but far more painful would be not spending your life with your soul mate. And then he walked toward Kerry, took her hand, pulled out the ring and said, "And that's why I'm asking my soul mate to spend her life with me. Will you marry me?"

Oh.

I bawled. That night, lying in bed, snuggled with my soul mate, I said, "That proposal was amazing. So romantic. Now tell me a reason you love me."

And my husband said, "You're like my left leg."

Dead silence.

I asked him to please, oh please, explain himself.  Because that's romantic? 'You're like my left leg'??

He said, "Yes! Because I couldn't live without you."

Uhm. Yeah. Pretty sure you could.

BUT, I could not stop laughing. I laughed so hard he got angry. He fell asleep and I was still laughing. So, four years later as I'm listening to him present his arguments as to how he says romantic things all.the.time, I flash on this memory. And I start to giggle. Then laugh. He stops talking and just lays there. I squeak out, "You're like my left leg."

He fell asleep and I was still laughing.

16 comments:

  1. ...left leg... Well, at least he tried?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps a better explination would have been "because I counldn't WALK without you"?
    I agree, your brother's proposal sounds pretty amazing!
    As for what I actually wore to church that morning, I started to post a pic of that too but then I got lazy. I went with a blue sweater which turned out to be a much better choice because I have this wonderful pearl/blue beads/mother of pearl necklace that I wore and receveied several compliments on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least he can make you laugh! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, compared to my husband the left leg thing is VERY romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. bhahahahahaha! This post made me laugh out loud! And then I read it to my husband & he laughed out loud!

    Oh that's too good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is husband, at least for now. For the record, she left out it was 12:30 am, we had been up all day and had spent the last 2 nights not sleeping on an air mattress. I was awoken from the closest thing to sleep in days and asked a question that would now haunt me for years.I was lucky I could come up with any answer in the 10 SECONDS i had to wake up and think, let alone compete with a speach that had been written and planned for months. A left leg is very important. It lets you change gears, climb trees, and kick whiney wives with your less important right leg. By the way ask can someone ask my wife, how to get the gas smell out of the house, or if live shells are used during 21 gun salutes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahahahaha!!!! As a person who is raised by 2 lawyers, you sound like you are making your case to the jury! I love it! Y'all are awesome!

    "I was lucky I could come up with any answer in the 10 SECONDS i had to wake up and think, let alone compete with a speach that had been written and planned for months."---this is a very good point! I see lawyer written all over this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hysterical!! Sounds familiar... =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diana @Hormonal ImbalancesFebruary 7, 2011 at 9:40 PM

    I actually stopped reading at the first "You'r elike my left leg", laughed till I cried, and then read this aloud to Sam in between laughing so hard.

    O.M.G. ::dies::

    ReplyDelete
  10. The funniest part of this is that he really and truly believed he was being romantic. Poor hubby. At least he's trying.

    I'm going to find your proposal story now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A truly romantic husband goes to work regularly, brings home most of his paycheck to the family, rocks sick babies (and even takes them to work when necessary), plays Candyland over and over, plays catch forever (and can put that ball right into the little mitt!). Those things are far more romantic than empty words, and scheduled flower deliveries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is hysterical. Love it. Your hubby's comment is so funny too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is too damn funny girl! I'm still literally LOLing over here!! Isn't it funny what they think is romantic vs. what we think is romantic? I need to write a V Day post about my husband's 'romance'...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Branson @ Reflection of SomethingFebruary 10, 2011 at 12:00 PM

    Oh my goodness, so hilarious!! And I just read your husband's comment. You guys are great! =)

    Now on to the comments you left on MY blog! Oh my goodness you are the sweetest person ever, and your comments made my whole week! I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to really read all of those posts. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Branson @ Reflection of SomethingFebruary 10, 2011 at 11:16 PM

    This post was featured as one of "The Best of the Best" on my blog this week! Thanks for being an awesome blogger!

    http://blmerrill.blogspot.com/2011/02/best-of-best-february-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol..... At least it wasn't something perverted like mine usually says!

    ReplyDelete