Tuesday, March 1, 2011

No Words, Really

I don't think I'll be around much this week  . . . I'm getting ready for John's birthday party -- he'll be 4! I cannot believe it! I have lots to do around the house and I really want to concentrate on that. But also, because I received some disturbing news this morning.

An acquentence from high school -- I can't call her a friend. We never hung out or anything. But I knew her enough to say hi, and knew her enough that when I got her friend request on Face Book I accepted it, remembering that although we weren't friends, she was always kind and smiling. Anyway, this morning I saw an odd post on Face Book about her, with 'RIP' after it.

At 37, with 4 children, it appears she committed suicide and endangered her children in doing so. They are all in the hospital with severe to moderate carbon monoxide poisoning. Just two days ago she posted pictures on Face Book of her son turning 10. Everything 'looked' fine.

It was not.

And now her life is being examined and dug into. People are speculating and talking total crap about things they know nothing about.

Here's something I know something about: something was wrong. Horribly wrong. Somehow she kept the people close to her in the dark about how wrong things were. She did this, yes. But she does not deserve to have her name slandered, her parenting ablities questioned and on and on. Four children lost their momma. And my heart aches at that. 

I discovered that when you know somebody, even know them just a little, and a thing like this happens . . . it affects you more than you expect. It was on the news. There was video. Newspaper articles. I heard her name coming from the mouths of reporters I have seen on TV for years. It's surreal. Were we great friends? No. Did we post on each others walls and chat about our children? Only one time. But she was a mom. And in trouble. And suffering. 

And so, I'm going to go spend some more time with my kids. I'm going to go plan the heck out of John's party. Play some board games with the girls that I wouldn't normally have time for. Go chase John around the yard. Because I have the time. I do.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Kim that is so sad. My heart breaks for her children & her family.

    And your outlook is so amazing, I love that you said you are going to plan the heck out of John's party! Happy Birthday to him!

    We had a family friend whose 20 year old committed suicide. My dad called us for weeks on a daily basis just to check on us. This boy found out he was flunking school & his gf broke up with him. He thought his parents would be mad at him & he x got a new boyfriend.

    These two things were so small in the grand scheme of things but I know what it feels like to hurt & to think that it will be forever.

    On another note, I stopped by today because my email notifications haven't been coming to my email. I thought to myself "Kim hasn't blogged in a while." But then I saw all the posts, so I tried to resubscribed but it says I'm already subscribed. :/ Maybe something is up with the switch from blogger to WP?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad!! I will keep that family in my prayers. Enjoy your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kim, this just breaks my heart. We just never really know what someone may be going through inside sometimes, do we?
    It is hard enough to lose someone tragically, Lord knows I know, but I've always thought that losing someone to suicide would be the most difficult and painful to get through.
    Praying for this family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is tragic. Makes you want to hug your loved ones even tighter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :( I know the story and feel so, so awful for everyone. Those poor children and what they face now, and how no one seemed to understand the pain this woman was obviously dealing with. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have counseled people with Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) online for a number of years, both on a forum and through one of my blogs.
    I am also a suicide survivor.
    A person who ends her life is in such severe emotional pain that she would do anything to make it stop (think torture), and her perception is so badly distorted that she believes absolutely her family, and the world, will be better off without her.
    MDD is caused by a physical condition where a person's brain chemistry is unbalanced. A person in a severe MDD meltdown (particularily if it is untreated) is basically as unable to understand the consequences of her actions as a person who is on a bad drug trip.
    I feel for this family in their time of great grief and struggle. God forgive those people who are making judgements, for they know not what they do.
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Jodi. I always, always appreciate your insight, knowledge and education. This whole thing absolutely breaks me heart.

    ReplyDelete