Monday, March 14, 2011

Pesky Immigration

So. Today while I was driving to pick Sarah up from school, I was rear ended. John and I are totally fine. The van is fine. The other guy is fine.

Wait. No. No he is notfine. He is a dirty rotten scoundrel. He is a player, said like this: playah.  He is a liar with a capital L. And I? Am angry. ANGRY.

I stopped for construction. He did not. So he hit me. It was no big deal. I called Sarah's school and told them I'd be late. I called my husband and asked what I should do -- I admit that I was probably a little panicked. He told me what information I needed etc. There is little to no damage to the car and nobody is hurt, and the police really don't come out for accidents like that around here, so at that point I didn't think to call the police. Here's a Public Service Announcement: Get hit? Call the police before you even leave the car. The End.

Playah and I pull into a parking lot. This is the only brownie point the guy gets. He didn't take off, which he totally could have. He gives me his info and I hand him mine. As I'm writing his down I start chatting him up. "Is this you?" I ask of the name on the insurance. "It's my dad." Kay. But wait, it expired in December. He says he has the up to date one, he just hasn't put it in the fancy sleeve yet. Seeing as I had to hunt for mine and do the same thing, I totally buy it. *slaps self in the face*

I get his phone number, license plate number and take pictures of our cars. Then he says, "Would it be cool if we just said my dad was driving?"

Uhm, NO, no it would not be cool. So I say, "No, no, it would not be cool. Why would I do that?" And Playah says, "Because I don't have a drivers license."

*slaps self in face multiple times, very, very hard*

I said, "Can I ask why you don't have a drivers license?" And Playah said, "Oh, immigration took it away from me."

Really? I'm supposed to believe that your father has car insurance and you had a drivers license but then did something wrong that caused immigration to take just your drivers license away? OMG.

I backed away from him, nodding, said, "Okthanksbyegottago." and jumped in my van. I wanted to call the police, but didn't think Playah would exactly wait for them. So I picked up Sarah, came home and called my husband. And promptly fell apart.

Then I called the called the police.

They told me what to do. So I called Playah, who amazingly, answered his cell phone. I told him we had to make a police report. He balked. Tried to talk me out of it. Then said he had to call work and see when he could meet me there. Then called me back and tried to get me to  let him 'take care of it. Get three estimates. We'll take care of you. My insurance will go up. I know you don't care, but I'll take care of you.' Then he mentioned something about me stopping short. And you guys? Momma Bear came out like I never knew she existed.

I started crying, but my voice was firm and I just railed at him. I said, "Playah, don't even go there. You rear ended me. You were driving without a license and you.hit.me and I had my baby in the car. My baby. And you hit me. And you? Don't.have.a.drivers.license. So don't talk to  me about how you're going to take care of me. I'm taking care of this. I'm taking care of this by going to the police department and making a report. And now you need to be a stand up guy and do the right thing. So be that guy. Be him. Or don't. But I'll be there at 1:30 and if you're not, the accident will be listed as a hit and run. And I have all your information. So I'd really, really be that guy and do the right thing."

ME!! I really said all that. I'm all that and a bag a chips. Yes, yes I am.

Then, I called my husband and cried some more.

I went to the police station, and shocker, Playah did not show. I gave them his information. The police officer punched in the plate number and smiled. Smiled. And said, "Playah was driving?" I said yes he was. She asked me to look at the computer screen to verify a picture of him. I looked at the picture, and I guess I had funny look on my face, because after I said it was him, she smiled and said, "That wasn't his license photo." I said, "Uhm, no. I kind of figured that out. Because my drivers license photo? Doesn't include a picture of my calf and the tattoo on it." But his mug shot does.

He's what they call a repeat offender. Yeah, go big or go home. So Playah didn't show up because he has multiple warrants out for his arrest for driving without a license.

So . . . .What did you learn today, kids?

34 comments:

  1. OMG, I want to kill this guy... Glad you are okay, what a f**ker! I hope the cops get him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! so glad that you are okay. I am so proud of you on the one hand, and shaking with the thoughts of what might have been on the other hand. Sharing this with my teens right now! thanks K

    ReplyDelete
  3. you go, momma bear! and i'm just so glad that you guys are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you and John are okay! And GO YOU for standing up to him and telling him how it will happen. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh lord... again with the black cloud!?!?!? I'm so glad you are ok, and your poor minivan. First the deer, now the dude from hell. Dear God... please give my friend Kim a freakin' break??? Ok????

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts exactly! And? This is what my husband does: insurance litagation! So I *almost* feel badly for this guy. *Almost* :) Thanks for stopping buy and following me! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liza, definately tell them to just call the police immediately. What's the harm? The only positive about me not immediately calling the police is I got all the guy's info -- which is so weird. Why did he give it to me, knowing he had warrants out? It's like he was trying to be a stand up guy . . but just couldn't quite do it. So sad, really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Tara. All John had to say was, "mama, what was that noise?" Then he was all kinds of excited that we went to the police station. And Sarah was thrilled because the police officer had a gun. It's the little things that excite us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen, I have to admit, it DID feel good to stand up to him, even if I was shaking like a leaf when I hung up the phone. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, our poor van, right?? As long as the deer stay away, I stay away from the sides of the garage and nasty guys don't hit us . . .we'll be just fine!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at you go!! Isn't it amazing what we can do when pushed to our limit?? I hope they catch Mr. Playah!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you for not taking any crap off that playah!

    I hope your vehicle wasn't damaged much and glad noone was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You Go Girl!!!!! Thank God you guys were okay and OMG what a loser he is! I hope they get him soooooon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. First of all...I'm so glad you guys are ok.

    Second...good for you, standing up to that guy and going to the police. It drives me absolutely crazy when people think they are above the law.

    I once was involved in an accident with a man who had no insurance and no license. He didn't want me to call the cops, but luckily, we were right in front of the police station and they came right away. They had his car towed away and issued him several tickets. The accident had been my fault, but it was his decision to drive without a license. He called me the next day and screamed at me on the phone about how I'd caused him all kinds of trouble. My father happened to be there and saw how upset I was so he took over and dealt with the guy. What a jerk!

    I'm so glad your guy is going to eventually get what's coming to him!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh, I am SO glad you gave him that earful. He definitely needed to hear it! Thank God the wreck wasn't more serious than that. But ya just wonder who his next victim could be, you know?
    I'm thrilled you're trying the chili! Hope hubby doesn't spew it across the room and demand to know where you got such a recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't blame yourself for not catching on to him sooner. After all, he stopped, so why would you doubt him? Often it is the shock and unexpected nature of these things that catches us off guard.
    He probably gave you the information to keep you from going to the police, strangely enough.
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  17. It should be interesting if they catch him . . the funny thing is, he gave me his REAL info! So even if his dad's insurance has expired, we can sue to cover the damage. B/c we have all his info -- address etc. Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hardly any damage, but we do have to get it fixed. The killer is, we just had it in the shop like a month ago and had about $2500 of work done on it -- from a deer and the garage. So, this is great timing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Karen :) It did feel really, really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. People AMAZE me!! When this guy asked me if it was OK if we just said his dad was driving? I about fell over. UHM, that's called insurance fraud, moron. Scarey!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK, so we JUST finished dinner, and Kristy, you are a ROCK STAR!! My husband loved it, and Sarah, who has never, ever, ever, eaten chili in her life, became convinced that she liked chili b/c it smelled good. So she tried it. AND LOVED IT. I took pictures. Do I love you? YES, yes I do!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's kind of what my husband was saying. Plus, if I'd immediately called the police, he would have just taken off and I wouldn't have gotten his info. So . . . in a weird way it totally worked out that I didn't call. But I'll certainly call next time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh! You chewed out a felon! lol You're like half gangsta now!

    I'm so sorry this happened! I totally know how you feel with the whole crying over it thing. When I was 5 months pregnant I was heading out to go look at some houses (we were on the house hunt.)

    I pulled up behind a lady at a stop sign. She pulled forward to turn right & then slammed on her breaks. I was sitting still, then pulled forward at about 1 mph & then bumped her.

    There was NO damage done, but I called my aunt who is a lawyer & she told me to call the police. So I did. Thank God! Because the lady's husband shows up right before the police got there & she said "I'm so glad you called the police my back & neck are hurting. I'm going to have to go to the doctor."

    Yeah, I called my insurance agent right then & there! Gave him a heads up we had some scammers on our hands.

    Fortunately, my dad called it in for me to the city so all I had to do was a year's worth of probation, pay a fine, & my insurance never went up. And I never heard from the scammers ever again either.

    Trust me, every time someone asked me about it I cried. And I wish that I could blame it on the pregnancy hormones. lol

    Sorry it happened! :(

    ReplyDelete
  24. Is there any way that we can get Dog the Bounty Hunter involved. Cuz that would make this story even more kick-ass.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my goodness! Glad you and the car are ok... I am proud of you for not backing down from him though!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm glad you and John are ok! I'm glad that crazy playah stopped and gave you his info. He would have been long gone if you suggested filing a police report.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my! I'm glad all of you are safe.
    Hope Playah gets caught and learns that you don't mess with a momma and her babes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh honey! Glad yall are ok and what an ass!!! You totally went into high gear throwing out that hit and run business. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's so incredibly sad, the things people do! And probation, for you?? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love Dog! And I totally think I should call him in on this!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How crazy is it that he stopped and gave me his info?? So insane.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Right? When mama growls . . .

    ReplyDelete
  33. It was pretty nuts-o. But you don't mess with a mom and her kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey there outstanding website! Does running a blog such as this require a great deal of work? I've no knowledge of coding however I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyways, should you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject nevertheless I just had to ask. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete