Friday, April 15, 2011

A PSA

Today, while driving home from dance class, Violet and I were in the Trailblazer and having some really great girl time. We'd gone to Chick Fil A and picked up dinner, just the two of us. We chatted all the while, giggling. I passed her some fries, then had some myself, telling her it was our secret. We giggled some more.

Then from  the back seat I heard a thin, worried voice say, "Don't drink and drive!"

I glanced in the rear view mirror and smiled, said, "That's right, Violet." Then saw her eyes. She was staring at me.

I had a soda in my hand.

I said, "Is there a reason you are telling me to not drink and drive?"

She nodded and said, "You're drinking and driving!"

OMG. How many people has she said this to? Can you hear this? "My mommy drinks and drives all.the.time."

So. I explained that 'don't drink and drive' meant not to drink alcohol and drive, but that it was just fine to drink soda and drive. She didn't know what alcohol was. I explained that it was beer and wine. Then we had to chat about why beer and wine are not OK and soda is OK, and what drunk means.

During all this my brain was racing, racing, because I was trying to name and locate the phone number of all possible people Violet has been in the car with over the past three months. I figure that's about how long she's been working this over -- I'm going with a big window here.

But how do you start that conversation?

"Hi, I'm Violet's mom and I just wanted to tell you that she thinks 'drinking and driving' means drinking a soda and driving! Isn't that funny? So when she said . . . "

Yeah.

In the end, I called Diana and we just laughed. Because, really, what else is there to do?

16 comments:

  1. LOL! So funny!

    But what I really took away from this is that you obviously need to drink more!!! LOL! My kids both know what "grown up drinks" are. :)

    Another Women of the Woods outing perhaps?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! Violet is a hoot.

    Buddy used to panic if I took one hand off the steering wheel. He'd scream "Two hands, two drivers!" I have no idea what that even means, but it makes me laugh when I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I am to calm you down. Don't fret girlfriend! Christopher said the SAME EXACT THING TO ME when he was younger. I'm thinking MOST of them do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol. She is precious. I wonder what was going through her head while she watched you with that soda!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's still cracking me up. I can see her little worried face in the back, wondering if it's ok to tell you not to put her life in danger. :p

    So funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahahahaha!!!!

    Oh man, that cracks me up!

    I just know that I'm going to have the hardest time when mine starts really talking...

    Last week every time I got up to leave the living room Lboy would announce to the whole world that mommy was poopie...usually I was going to get some water!

    Thanks for that kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, that was funny. I can just see my little one saying that to me.

    I also love it when they mis-hear song lyrics. Mine sang, "Blah, blah, black sheep, heavy heavy wool" for a year. I almost peed my pants everytime. Not that it takes much these days... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. My girlfriend's daughter once announced to a house full of company that daddy sleeps on the couch. And he did...on most weekend afternoons he would nap on the couch. My girlfriend's mother and mother-in-law hounded her for weeks about why she and her husband were having problems and he was sleeping on the couch. They would not believe that her daughter was talking about naps.

    Kids will sell you down the river every single time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Women of The Woods is needed!! And yeah, more adult drinks as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buddy is a riot -- two drivers. Don't you wish you could see inside their heads?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I don't feel so badly then :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. She must have thought I was crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lboy is going to be SO much fun as he gets bigger! He's starting young!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is way too funny!! I can totally see this happening!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The messed up lyrics -- so great! I don't correct them, it's just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha! That's awesome. She's just trying to keep you on the up and up. ;-)

    ReplyDelete