Monday, April 11, 2011

Holy Mess, Batman!

Things have been a tad . .  . messy around here lately. If you're on my FaceBook page you heard me mention that we had a painter coming to seal the heinous wallpaper that covered every.single.wall upstairs. Three layers deep. Fun times. I stripped (that's what she said, I know) some of the walls downstairs, and when that disaster was revealed, I quit. Well, after I cried, screamed, swore (oh, did I swear), begged, pleaded and cried some more. Then we found a wonderful painter who came in and re-did our bedroom (sucker) about two years ago. We called him back about a month ago and he'd forgotten what he'd done for us. Until we showed him our room. Then his eyes glazed over and he started to drool. Ok, not really. But his eyes did widen and he said, "Oh . . . yeah. Now I remember. That wallpaper job."

So, over the past week this wonderful man has been working his rear off sealing the walls in my kids bedrooms. Why not just stripping the wallpaper? Because it was glued to bare drywall. So it's soaked into the wall. So it won't come off. The process is mind numbing. Did I mention how amazing he is? (Are you local? I highly recommend him)

He did the kids bedroom's upstairs, the ceilings, because  . . . wait for it . . . they'd been wallpapered too .. . and spackled some a ton of spots in the hallway where the kids have created wholes over the past two years.

So, for your viewing pleasure, part one of the re-do:

[caption id="attachment_652" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Elegant hallway wallpaper."][/caption]

 I took this wallpaper off a few years ago, but I couldn't resist showing it to you. Coming soon: the bathroom, dining room and my bedroom wallpaper.

[caption id="attachment_640" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Sans elegant wallpaper, awaiting new paint. This is the ONLY wallpaper that came off easily."][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_656" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Sarah's rockin' paneling. "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_643" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Clean walls! We're going for the darker pink."][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_646" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Wallpaper in Violet's room. Yeah, I had to include her. Circa 2005"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_651" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="John's wallpaper. Very masculine, no?"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_645" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Upstairs landing. "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_642" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Violet's walls. Hell on earth. "]Violet's room. Poor painter. This will become a gorgeous shade of brown.[/caption]

 The house is covered in drywall/Spackle dust. Laundry is piled eight loads deep, I haven't cooked a real dinner in two weeks, the kids are all crammed in one room, my bedroom is a storage unit and I am ready to paint! I bought the bedding, picked out the paint colors and the kids are excited. So, tomorrow we begin.  Let's be clear, though, I'm painting while at least two kids are at home. Wanting my undivided attention. And they'll be completely aware they don't have it. Let the good times roll.

16 comments:

  1. Ugh. Yeah, wallpaper is pretty much straight from the devil! ;-) Did I ever tell you about the time I scraped off a big chunk of plaster wall in addition to the wallpaper and filled it in with spackle about 4 inches deep? LOL!! Look forward to seeing your after photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better pop in the Josh Groban dvd. Just sayin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to you. I soooo don't envy you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wallpaper is from the devil. We moved into this house a year ago yesterday. So far, I've stripped wallpaper out of the kitchen and two bathrooms and painted A LOT and there's still so much more I want to do. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. who ever thought wallpaper was a good idea???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, tearing down wallpaper def stinks! We'll have to do that to our bedroom when we get there. But I guarantee you, my wallpaper is MUCH MUCH worse than yours (appearance wise, anyway).
    I'm sure when all this is done, you'll be soo happy! Can't wait to see the after pictures.
    Good luck with getting anything accomplished with the kiddies around...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, that would be so unfun! But it sounds like you have a great guy helping you out!

    We are wanting to tackle our floors, we want hardwoods throughout. We had to use our tax refund for Todd's graduate school tuition this year, but next year I will have the prettiest floors in the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! That right there is exactly what happens at our house when you try to take the wallpaper off! And that's why we 'have a guy' now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, bring on the Josh! You'll be able to hear his heavenly voice all day tomorrow. And, you know, my awesome one, singing duets with him. That's something that shouldn't be missed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah . . . I do envy you though :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you've been able to strip the stuff yourself. This has all been applied wrong wrong wrong, so we can't. And I said, "Sweat equity! That's a great thing" when we bought the house. Slap.me.now. HARD.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Somebody without a house, who didn't like change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gonna be a gooood time. Right? Paint, kids. Paint. What can possibly go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You'll be so happy when the floors are done! We have hardwood that's OK. My husband is going to give it a little sand when I'm done painting and then we'll seal it -- it was under wall to wall carpet so it's in good condition but just not smooth. (I, of course, am coveting some wide board, rough hewn dark mahogany. That's not gonna happen!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is the EXACT color AND size I want! For real! But it just doesn't go with the vibe of our house (according to Todd. :) So I think we are going to go with the color "Gunstock." My parents just put it in their house about 2 years ago & it is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy crap! Who wall papers a ceiling? That pink is great! Can't wait to.see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete