Monday, June 27, 2011

Because It's Weird. . .

I'm writing about Violet again because we found out what virus she had. (I'm also typing this on my iPhone so excuse any typos.)

Out pediatrician called on Friday and this is how the the conversation went:

Dr: Violet had parvovirus.

Me: Okaaaay. . .huh. I don't want to sound ignorant (but I so am going to) but I thought that was something dogs got?

Dr: It's dangerous for dogs. And pregnant woman. (Cue panic. My SIL is pregnant & watched Vi after she was fever free.)

We talk about the virus. I understand this:

It's somehow Fith's Disease, which all my kids have had & it was never anything like this before. You catch it like any cold virus. I also understand that when someone asks me what she had, I can now say, "Parvo." & then the person will say, "I thought that was something dogs got?"

So . . .weird.

[caption id="attachment_982" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Sarah buzzing around & Violet coochie coo-ing"][/caption]

She's totally fine now. She tired easily for a few days but is back to lightening speed. Thank you all for comments & concern.

14 comments:

  1. Well at least you know what it was! I had to laugh because as soon as you said parvo, I was thinking "Isn't that what dogs get?" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought this was something only dogs got. Until my (pregnant) sister in law told me that one of her students was coming to school sick for a week and they found out it was parvo. So maybe it's going around???

    I'm glad Violet is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea humans could get parvo! Live and Learn. Glad she is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow....you're right.....weird! But I'm glad you found out what she had and that she's feeling better now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad she's feeling better . . . some day, you'll have to tell her that she had a dog's disease ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soooo glad she is better now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is everyones reaction -- so I feel I'm in good company w/ my ignorance :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard it's in NJ right now, too. And John is getting it, but a much lighter version as we speak. How could I avoid it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems that unless you've actually had parvo you have no idea it's a human disease, or that fifths disease is parvo/a kind of parvo. (not sure how that works. Still so confused) Thanks for the well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does feel better to know there is a name for it, somehow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol! Right? I'm sure she'll be thrilled. Maybe I'll tell right about the time she starts dating. In front of a boy. Who wants to kiss her. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First, if your daughter looks anything like you, she'll have no shortage of boys who want to kiss her.

    Second, after thinking, I'd save this for one of those truly horrible sit-down, drag-out fights that all teenagers have with their parents at some point. If she ever calls you a b-i-t-c-h, I'd come back with "you know what? When you were a kid, you had parvo. That's a dog disease. That means that you're the bitch."

    But, alas, I'm mean.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. That is super weird but Im glad yall have a diagnosis and she feels better!

    ReplyDelete