Wednesday, July 6, 2011

An Apple A Day . . .

Does in fact NOT keep the doctor away.

Seriously.

(a rant)

You all remember that Violet was very sick about 2 1/1 weeks ago with parvovirus. It went through John -- although incredibly light, and now Sarah -- still light. Obviously it would have to. We all live under the same roof, they drop their toothbrushes on top of one another's despite my best efforts. They share cups no matter how much I yell. They end up in the same bed, cuddling.

They also eat incredibly healthy. I promise you, they do. I bought a pound of grapes today and it's 3/4's gone. I've had maybe 10 grapes. Violet's been at the rest. Today's lunch was white cheddar cheese (so nobody can be on me about artificial dyes? We've eliminated red dye 40) natural yogurt that we flavored with natural vanilla extract or fruit, unsweetened applesauce, raisins and pretzels. And Violet had a tomato and lettuce sandwich on wheat bread, then finished the tomato, plain.

They take a daily vitamin and vitamin C (when I remember).

So I know they eat healthy, and in fine, healthy quantities.

So get off me.

And I'm getting really, really tired of hearing, "Why do your kids get so sick? They're sick all the time."

Seriously? There are three of them, to begin with.

And between them we do/did the following from mid March to Jun:

Soccer -John and Sarah

Dance- Sarah and Violet

Softball-Violet

Art class- Violet

Now throw in school, birthday parties and play dates, church, shopping and cousins.

June 4 we added swimming and softball ended, but dance continued. School ended. Now add in the pool, oh lord the pool bathrooms. I love my pool . . . but kids are pigs.

And don't forget the friends. Lots and friends.

And you do know that kids are petrie dishes, right?

In between these activities I sandwiched quiet time, so back off me there, thankyouverymuch. I was very, very aware that they were busy kids and I was about thisclose to becoming "that mom."  That mom I said I'd never be. And for about two weeks I was "that mom" as all the activities overlapped. So we had down time every chance we got.

Did I mention that I cook from scratch?

Well, I do.

So, now explain why my kids are always sick.

I think it's not that they are always sick. It's that they are active kids in multiple activities being exposed to many, many people. And I talk about it. Have you perhaps noticed that I talk? A lot? Hmmm?

I have one friend who says, "You're kids are always sick!" But she follows it up with sympathy, so she gets a pass (hi Mary :)  ) and asks if I need anything.

And I'm angry.

I'm done ranting. Thanks.  :)

 

 

 

15 comments:

  1. My kids are always sick so I won't be pointing any fingers at you. They just are. And some day, they will be the healthiest kids around. While everyone else is getting sniffles and the pukies, my kids will be fine.

    So tell your people that keep bugging you to BACK OFF! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might be one of the ones guilty of telling you that it seems like your kids are always sick but I hope you know that when I say that I genuinely feel bad for you (and them). And I completely know it's because you are all so active. I'm glad it's summer because I feel like the summer is when everyone gets the least sick because the chlorine in the pool has GOT to kill some of the germs, right? :) Just think about how healthy your kids are going to be when they are grown up since they will have already had everything under the sun and developed immunities/antibodies to EVERYTHING! :) And I think it does get better/easier once your youngest is in full-day school. Babies/Preschoolers seem to have a lot more germs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids were always sick at that age too. Seems the more germs they are exposed to, and the more they are sick as young'ens, the healthier they are later on *KNOCK ON WOOD* Hang in there - this too shall pass.
    (Oh, and I think I got my blog back up, AGAIN.So I'll post a newbie and then let me know if you can access it - thanks)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not doing a thing wrong, mama. Some kids (and adults!) just get sick a lot. When I started teaching, I used to doubt it and think some kids just stayed home more, but now I have a husband who can get sick three times as much as I do while doing everything right. Baby Girl is still breastfeeding, so I'm hoping she gets my immune system instead of his, but I'm bracing for the day it all starts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kids get sick - it is what happens... just say "yeah - they are building up their immune systems and will be VERY healthy adults" its like a vaccine.
    Me on the other hand, I have come down with a sore throat, fever and other cold symptoms - PRAYING that I do not get this 7 week old baby sick - I would not even know what to do....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't be too hard on yourself. It's certainly not their diet making them prone to illness. I think you nailed it; there's 3 of them and they're around other kids. Yep, kids carry germs :)

    I breastfed my youngest for 14 months and switched him to milk only to find out he was lactose intolerant. Now, how on earth did that happen?! So despite our best efforts, sometimes stuff just happens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't let what others say bother you. You are doing all the right things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is true!! I hadn't thought of it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen, you are not guilty of this! If you said it, it was with me going, "WHY??" Not you being all "You're kids are nasty." :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. See, I'd forgotten to look at it this way, you guys are smart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the immunity of breastfeeding really helps -- while breastfeeding. At least that's what I found. And I often wonder: Do the husbands get sick more often or are they just 'I'm dying!' when they are the tiniest bit sick?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're breastfeeding, right? (I think you are) well, the baby has your immunities, so he should be totally fine. If you're not, I think he STILL has your immunities at this young age. And I LOVE your answer. So using it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Kristy. I appreciate the support so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Trish -- I think I might be over senstive on this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have kids. However...my cousin's son is immune suppressed due to an organ transplant. She is SUPER careful with him. He eats very healthy food. She's on him constantly to wash his hands and keep his hands out of his mouth. She keeps sick people away from him. But...she wants him to be a regular kid as much as possible. So he goes to school and he swims in the backyard pool and he goes to baseball practice. And she has no control over the kid next to him sneezing on him or his best friend not washing his hands after touching the bathroom door.

    Kids are kids. They are going to get sick. There's not much you can do to prevent it.

    Tell the nosy people who complain that your kids are always sick to mind their own damn business!!!

    ReplyDelete