Thursday, July 7, 2011

Can't Touch This

She got an ipod Touch.

::headexplosion:: (yeah, I totally stole that from Diana. I can't come up with anything better!)

Violet saved her Birthday money and had enough to get an ipod Touch.

Unbelievable.

She's eight.

It took me four years to get an iphone- between the cost and being stuck with contracts -- and in one month she had enough money to get an ipod Touch.

I also planted the idea in her sweet little brain. And since she saved the money for it, how exactly do you say, "No,"?

She wanted a DSI and when I thought about it, it just didn't make sense. Every game costs about $12 -- how was that going to work? Once a month she might get a game?  I have a friend who's daughter is a year older than Violet and she has an ipod Touch. So it got to me thinking. . . And I thought, "Surely it will take her months and months to save the money.

Not so much.

So, Saturday night found us at the Apple store buying her ipod Touch. She was two dollars shy of what she needed. And giddy with the excitement. I was having massive heart palpitations at the thought of my eight year old daughter owning a $229 electronic device. When I was eight I didn't own a calculator. She owns a mini jukebox-hand held gaming -digital camera-face timing - there's probably an app to call the moon- device.

I struggled with the purchase, to be sure. Does she truely need it? Are we, as parents, do the right thing by allowing her to buy this? That's a huge purchase. Does she need a hand held gaming device? Isn't this the tiniest bit insane, an eight year old with an ipod Touch?

In the end I decided that she saved the money for it. She forgoe presents from most of our family and her friends so she could have this. And I'll be completely honest with you. When she donated the  money she had in DSI jar to that Japan Relief fund back in May? I think I probably decided then that she'd get it, regardless. That act of selflessness right there sold me on her character.

I was bothered that my husband couldn't get his head around us giving her money, so we got her a new bike. Which, yes she needed. But now I'm struggling with, "She got an ipod and a bike? Who do we think we are?" But again, she saved for it.

And that right there is the kicker. We taught her the value of saving. Of planning. Of waiting. Of financial responsibility.

However, On Sunday night I went crazy and downloaded every single app I could find that was educational -- math flash cards, tanagrams, learning multiplication, spelling, build your own story -- and told her that she had to use them for a half hour each day. When we're on long trips she can't just play, "Squish The Ant" or "Touch The Button." She readily agreed, because the flash cards are on her ipod. And that is so cool.

Here's hoping.

(and Sarah got Violet's Shuffle. So now she walks around belting out, "She Wears High Heels I Wear T-shirts!" half the day. She's happier than Violet was, I think.)

PS. My spell check is NOT working *grumble grumble* *insert special words* so please excuse any errors. I think I caught them, but you never know.

12 comments:

  1. Well, my iPad is practically Buddy's iPad. Nevermind that he almost always calls it an iPod.

    Happy birthday to Violet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job Mama!! Learning to save money is a skill most people never aquire. You two look super cute in the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great. Our girls saved up enough money to purchase their own laptops. So far they've done a powerpoint presentation and a story. Daddy has projects they have to do over summer. Their having a blast with them. Kudos for Violet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome. I'm totally jealous of Violet, I want an iPod Touch too! I never could have saved up like that at her age ... heck, I probably couldn't do it now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see your struggle, but you are correct in admitting it WAS YOUR BRILLIANT idea :p AND the fact she so selfishly gave up her money for charity (my heart did a flipflop remembering that) she earned it. Just monitor everything she puts on (which I'm sure you will) parental control the crap out of it, and she'll, I mean, YOU'LL be fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. good for her and you! Saving is a tough lesson AND she gave to charity? That is really very awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Landon was watching videos on my iphone earlier. He totally knows how to do it without my help and he's not even 3 yet! We're in big trouble in the electronics department.

    p.s. she is adorable and so are you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's truly amazing - my 8 year old self couldn't get past baseball cards & candy for long enough to save week to week.

    My 32 year old self isn't much different.

    My question is, since she bought it, do you retain the right to take it away if she misbehaves?

    ReplyDelete
  9. aww she's a big girl. My kid just stole mine because she's a thief. I just get to borrow it at work.

    You did good. Maybe you start now and she can buy her own car ;-)

    yall look precious, btw

    ReplyDelete
  10. A. Her pic is adorable and I am going to steal her.

    B. You are an insanely awesome mom to even ponder all the things you did before letting her buy it.

    C. You may use my head explosion anytime. You know this. Just return it when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When we got our first computer when I was a kid (back when it was unheard of for people to have computers in their houses) my dad said we could play on it as long as we did educational stuff...and guess what? We did! It was so awesome!!!!!!

    I hope she has a blast with the ipod!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kids saved up to buy a then state-of-the-art Atari game system after I refused to pay the money for such an obviously heinous device. Turned out it helped my son with math as he learned sequencing skills, etc.
    You have to admire a kid who sets their mind to save up for something they really want. Most children have the attention span of a demented gnat, and have no concept of long term gain for short term pain.
    Kudos on raising a daughter who feels for and will sacrifice for others in need!
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete