Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I Guess I Didn't Really Want To Go

My 20 year high school reunion is in a couple weeks. When I received the invite I just assumed I'd be going. Then, as the days passed, I realized . . . I wasn't sure. Which surprized me, because despite the usual high school angst, I really enjoyed that time. I was busy and had a great group of friends. I've recently reconnected with a few of them via FaceBook and I'd like to see them.

Just them. That's about, oh, three people. The rest? Meh.

And let's be honest, even after 20 years there are still a couple people I actively don't want to see. 

My husband tried hard to get me here for the reunion, until it occured to me that I didn't want to go. That there were three or four people I wanted to see and that was it. Then, I saw this on my FaceBook wall:

Guy who duct taped small guys to lockers and tortured them: Happy Birthday Brotha!

Guy who was duct taped by said guy: Thanks. When is the reunion?

Guy who duct taped small guys to lockers and laughed: August 14. Hope you'll be there! We can party like we did back in the day!

Uhm. . . you two never partied together. You duct taped him to a locker. I know because I helped take him down. And now you're all, "Let's party like we used to!" How is that? Because I was present at some of your parties. And the way you partied would be to make fun of this very person.

So, I was done.

Yes, it's been 20 years. Maybe he's apologized. I know that I had to do some apologizing when FaceBook first reconnected me. But I was disgusted.

I'm sad to be missing out on seeing these couple people. But it turns out one of them, who I had my senior pictures taken with (holy big hair Batman) will be coming into town just as we're leaving. So we're getting together. I've known her since 9th grade. It's been 20 years, 2 husbands, 5 kids and too long since we've seen each other. I can't wait.

On Thursday night I'm getting together with another friend I've known since 8th grade. We were at each other's college graduations and she helped move me to Delaware. We were married on the same day 10 years ago. Now we get to hang out at a nice restaurant with our handsome husbands and be adults (because we are just playing at this adult thing. Still.).

On Friday I'm seeing a friend of mine that I've known since I was four years old. Four. How cool is that? We both have three kids around the same age. So we're going to let them run around together at the park. Maybe share some silly stories with the older ones. "I remember when your mom . . . " gah.

These are the people I really want to see. This is what I'm excited about. It's going to be so fun, so nice. I can't wait!

**I'm also meeting Alexia from Babies & Bacon! We're having our own super mini BlogHer '11 at a local Panera.**

****my spell check will NOT work from my lap top!! So please, please forgive any typo's!!****

13 comments:

  1. Have fun!! What part of MI are you in? If I remember correctly, you're on the West side, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are making your own little reunions, that sounds fun.
    My 20 year reunion is this Friday night and I am going. It happens to be when I happen to be back home visiting, so why not? I may be live tweeting the craziness, stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooh, yeah. I went to my 10 year. Actually, I got roped into helping to plan it! Let's just say I won't be going to my 20th :/

    p.s. NEXT YEAR you are going to BlogHer, right? I will expect to see you then :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ended up helping plan my 20 year 2 years ago but really, most of the ones I cared to see, I've get in touch with all these years! Enjoy your mini-reunions. There is something about "old" friends that always brings out the silly in me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say screw those high school reunions!! I went to my 10 year and severly loathed every second. Yay for all manner of mini-reunions and mini-BlogHer!!! Can't wait to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Supposedly, my 15 year reuinon is this year (we had our 10 year reunion at the 11 year mark, so you never really know what's going to happen), and I'm in the same boat. I went to the previous one, but, somehow, all of the "cool kids" still live in/around town, so they all get together regularly. They sat in a corner of the bar & talked about everything that happened since the last party one of them through.

    The rest of us, well, we mingled. It was good to see people, but there were a good 10-15 people that I wanted to see, and not a single one of them came. All in all, it was an "eh" evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way!! I went to my 10 year reunion and it was TERRIBLE. I was feeling judged and I was judging people. All around not a very positive place or state of mind. Good for you for realizing how you feel and making plans your way. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to know I am not alone in this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, that's how I feel -- I'll be all, 'meh' and have paid $35 to feel that way. And I'm 5 years old than you? Dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mini BlogHer here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The silly is the best, and I know that is exactly where I'm headed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Molly, I'm already planning for BlogHer '12!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oooh, please live Tweet it!!

    ReplyDelete