Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Living Without . . .

Gluten.

Or at first, food. Living without lots and lots of food. Really. In May my doctor 'suggested' I go on a gluten free diet. I was all, "Uhm, yeah. I don't think so." Because bread and I are close,  personal friends. But when she 'suggested that I be tested for Celiacs? Well, I thought a little more about being gluten free.

Once I did some research on Celiacs I knew I didn't have it, (and the test did come back negative) but it sounded like I *might* have a gluten intolerance or allergy. However, I was also rolling my eyes at the idea, because really? Isn't this like the 'in' thing right now? All this gluten free food, all these blogs etc. And now my doctor was suggesting it to me? What, my body was being trendy? But as I looked at the list of symptoms and found myself nodding a bit   .  . . then continuously . . . I decided to go for it. Some of the symptoms I was experiencing -and had been for years:

~headaches/migraines

~nauseau/vomiting after eating

~frequent diarrhea after eating

~bloating (insane)

~fatigue

~joint and muscle aches

~depression (hello, anyone?)

~irritablitity

~lethargy

To name a few. Now obviously my depression wasn't caused or cured by going gluten free. But I found it interesting that on each website I visited this symptom was listed.

I began eating gluten free in May. On June 6 I 'tested' my theory that I totally didn't need this by eating stuffed shells and awesome soft Italian bread with Violet on her Birthday. Two hours later I was so bloated I couldn't button my pants. (glad I'm sharing? You're welcome.)

The next day I had a raging migraine and managed to barely lay on the sofa all day. That was work. My entire body ached. The bathroom and I were good friends. (again, you're welcome.) And then, about noon it hit me: stupid, stupid gluten.

I cried.

Then I started eating the right way for me.

And OMG. My life has once again, drastically changed. My body doesn't ache on a daily basis any more. The bloating (that was always, always there?) GONE. I mean, some days I looked about 8 weeks preggers. My face was so puffy. The fatigue that was constant, even since getting my life back? Gone. I don't need 12 hours of sleep anymore. I need 5.

And I lost 12 pounds.

*shakes my grove thing*

Is it a pain sometimes? Try almost all the time. But I'm learning and it's becoming less and less of a pain as I figure it out. Most restaurants have some sort of gluten free menu. And I am pretty tolerant -- I can have it in condiments etc. I don't need a designated gluten free fryer/area for the food to be prepared. From what I understand many people with Celiacs need that. So I'm very fortunate.

And cheating isn't worth it. When I cheat on purpose or I find that I've accidently eaten something I shouldn't . . . oh hell. No, thank you.  So I guess my body has decided to be trendy!

And Udi's products? They are becoming my fast favorite go to breads.

Bread. Ahhhh sweet bread.

Now if I can only get them to make a nice foccacia.

15 comments:

  1. Two of my cousins - on separate sides of the family! - have gluten intolerances. One has very severe Celiacs, but has been doing great on the gluten-free diet. From the amount of bloating and fatigue I suffer, I do wonder if I should be tested... I just can't bring myself to give up pasta just yet! Glad it's working for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I went gluten free around the same time and OMG it was painful! But I've finally found some really good eats and websites/blogs that are great! I have 11 food allergies total so I'm always making adjustments but check out Gluten Free Girl and Gluten Free on a Shoestring. Also, Sorghum and Tapioca flour mixed at a 2:1 ratio makes a really good all purpose flour replacement. You need to use Xantham gum if your making baked goods like cookies, bread, etc. This past week I baked regular cookies to sell for a non-profit and of course I had to eat some (or half) of them, I'm paying the price now. Moody, tired, headache, bloated, STARVING! I'd say that I've learned my lesson but I know I'll do it again. Hello! Grandma's Butter Cookies, Rugelach... I love you! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celiac is really closely related to Crohn's; it seems that a lot of people with one also have the other. I'm so, so glad that I don't! Although, I keep hearing such good things about a gluten-free diet that I should probably try it ... but bread is my friend. And we are very, very close. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't either, but I wouldn't go back to regular pasta/bread for anything now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beginning IS painful and so scarey, isn't it? You feel like you'll never eat again. But it does get better, you're right. I have to find that xantham gum -- it seems pretty elusive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Les, step away from the bread. Try it for a couple weeks and see what happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found something for you!

    http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/03/gluten-free-focaccia-recipe-with-garlic.html

    A couple of good sites for ordering Xanthum gum and gluten free flours are Amazon.com (of course) and nutsonline.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep on thinking about going gluten-free. Because those symptoms you list? They're what I deal with, often . . . or, at least, they're what I dealt with before I went vegetarian. But, I do still deal with some general, overall, ickiness every now & then, especially when I splurge on the processed snacks.

    Have you considered making your own bread? I can kick a pretty kick-ass foccacia recipe that should be easily adjusted to gluten-free flour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really interesting. I've had a few of those symptoms for a long time and my BFF suggested I go gluten free. I haven't, but this post makes me think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep wondering whether I should experiment with going gluten free to see how I feel. I don't think I feel too bad, but crappy feels "normal" after a while, ya know?!

    I'd love to find a "top ten first steps for going gluten free" list somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Check out the magazine "Living Without" they have a section in the back that lists food with gluten. It's a great start up. What I did was remember that bread and pasta obviously did, as did most cereals. I bought brown rice pasta and Chex cereal. Then found Udi's bread -which is expensive and fattening, but satisfies your need for bread. Anything that says 'flour, wheat' on it has gluten. But you can buy/make your own gluten free flour mixes from potato/rice/tapioca flour. And yes, I know how crappy feels normal after a while. So you really should try. That magazine has been a big help. Devon at Accostmed Chaos has celiacs so she's TOTALLY gluten free, she's a great resource. She's first on my blog roll. And I can help you more if you decide to try. Oh, and salad. Lot's of salad and hummus. And rice chip - they are yum-o! you can email me at babyfeet3@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Try it for 2 weeks and see what happens, it's certainly not going to hurt. The magazine, "Living Without" has a great pull out reference guide in the back to help get you started.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just started gathering ingrediants for making my own bread, because I seriously need some good foccacia. So please pass that recipie on, can you? And that general ickiness that comes from processed snacks? It's totally gone now that I can't eat them. At all. My diet is so much cleaner. There are processed gluten free snacks available, but they are incredibly expensive, so I find I stick to fruit and veggies like I didn't before. Hence the 15 lb weight loss. I'll take it! The magazine 'Living Without' has a great start up reference guide in the back that is really useful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Jessica, thank you!! Finding xanthum gum has been the hardest thing around here!! I'm on my way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's great! My cousin goes through the same thing and the moment she eats something wrong, she can feel it.

    ReplyDelete