Monday, October 10, 2011

Come On In! The Water's Fine!

[caption id="attachment_1419" align="alignleft" width="204" caption="Not us, but a picture of the pools."][/caption]

While we were in Colorado, my husband and I visited Mt. Princeton Hot Springs for some time alone and relaxation. It's this gorgeous facility, built into the mountains (duh), with two large outdoor pools - one for soaking and for swimming, and it's all set next to the Arkansas river.

The hot springs either dump into the river or bubble up next to it, I'm not sure, but you can soak in the hot water in these small natural pools formed by rocks right outside.

The river rushes past you on one side, the mountains rise up all around. Birds fly over head.  It's just you and nature.

And, you know, the people who totally jump into your pool.

If you've met my husband, then you know that he is not exactly a 'people' person. He likes his space.

Immensely.

So, imagine his absolute horror when, after sliding into the perfect pool, adjusting the rocks and soaking up the quiet (we have three loud, busy children. Did you know that?) a shadow fell across our oasis and a (perfectly lovely, I'm sure) woman said, "How's the water in your pool?" as she slid her body into our pool. Our  small pool.

I may have stared. With my mouth wide open. It may have closed with an audible snap.

Thankfully both my husband and I were wearing sunglasses so eye contact could not be made. Of course, I wasn't even chancing a look at his face. No way.

She chatted us up a bit, and honestly, she did seem lovely. But I wanted time to sit quitely. And did I mention the pools are small? And that we are in bathing suits? In small pools? Anyway.

Five minutes later. Another shadow. Her husband.

[caption id="attachment_1418" align="alignright" width="300" caption="This? Is how he got into the pool. Next to my husband. *cue laughter*"][/caption]

In slow motion:

Hello (echo echo echo)

Slides into pool, lays down on his back, head propped up on a rock, chin deep in the our perfect water.

His naked thigh brushes against my husbands naked thigh.

I choke.

It may have been the high light of the trip.

I managed to extract us from the situation about five minutes later. The conversation as my husband and I were climbing the rocks back up to the main facility went something like this:

Did they just  . . .

SHUT IT.

But did they just  . .

SHUT IT NOW

Huh.

 

7 comments:

  1. that sounds like gross misconduct of having your own pool ettiquete. Jerks.

    And also... totally laughing at the second picture & caption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first pic - I was like, "Who the heck is that?"

    You crack me up. Sam would have been all weirded out too, and probably me as well. It's like parking in a nearly empty lot, and having the next car park right next to you - so close you can't even open your door.

    Space issues. I haz them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were swingers!!! lol Totally just joking! :)

    My favorite part of the whole post was the Arkansas River! woot woot!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh NO they di'int! WTH? I've met people like this and will never understand how their minds work. Ever!

    Hope the rest of your trip was more relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh...ewwww...naked thighs...hairy naked thighs...and I'm talking about the wife's LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't get it. The area is public, right? My experience with hot springs is mostly from being with my hubby up in Canada - in the wilderness when you have to drive 8 hours up a dirt road (no, I'm not exaggerating) to get to it. And if someone wants in the pool you happen to be occupying, you move over and let them in. Mind you, no one wears swimsuits at these places....

    ReplyDelete