Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Discipline and Deer Hunting

My husband got a deer last weekend. Oh, the celebrations my kids had. The cheering. The dancing. The jumping up and down, chanting, "Daddy got a deer!" The questions of "Can I see it naked?" and "Can I help grind the meat?"

Now. I'm not a huge fan of deer meat - I like it when it's cooked all day in a stew or chili. My favorite thing about it? This year it's free. One whole deer, in our freezer at no cost.

Free meat, people.

I'm way squeamish about the meat, the grinding, the nakedness. But I don't want my kids to be. So I'm all, "Yaaayy . . . Daddy got a deer!" in front of the kids.  I don't take part in the preparing of the deer until it's time to season it.

My kids? Love to help with that part - the preparing the meat part that is. Grinding meat with Daddy is a great high light to the hunting season.

Really.

So the other day, when we were out running errands and Sarah started in on a complete breakdown, I heard myself say:

Sarah. Stop it! Stop it now or you won't get to grind deer meat with Daddy.

People, she stopped. Immediately.

Ahh, discipline by deer. Thank you, Bambi.

 

 

the other day, I was desperate. Desperate. Sarah was having a complete melt down and we were in public.

10 comments:

  1. hahah! This brings back the days of seeing quite a few "naked" deer hanging in my grandparents barn. ICK! YUCK! & EWWW!!
    But yay! for free meat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would it surprise you if I told you that my Father in law hunts deer...and squirrel?
    No didn't think so.
    I hate deer meat, although the sausages that my father in law makes are pretty good. It's still grosses me out because I love looking at deer.
    They're all cute and innocent ;)
    It's funny that your kids are into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meat - is there anything it can't do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been a hunter, but I'm well aware that my kids are going to be hunters (I think everyone in the area is).

    Hey, if the mere threat of not being allowed to grind deer meat is enough to keep your kids in-line, go to that well, often, momma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does seem like everyone hunts in this area, but where I grew up? If you didn't hunt people totally made fun of you. Out here it's more 'if you do, you do. If you don't well, that's fine, too.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparently, no, there isn't anything can't do :) Good point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't your husband grow up eating squirrl? But didn't like it? I love looking at deer as well, so it's weird that I do this whole grinding of it in my house. I guess that's what loving a hunter does to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The free meat is what gets me through it. The naked deer? I avoid like crazy. And yet, that's one of kids favorite things. It boggles the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL!!! I love this. And also, I was NOT a fan of deer meat, although BIL/SIL love it. But cooked into sausage or in spaghetti it wasn't bad at all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the only way I like it -- in chili's or nacho's. Never as a steak. *shudder* But our freezer is stocked now, so that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete