Thursday, January 5, 2012

Run Forrest, Run!

Remember this post, where I told you all how I had started training for a 5k? Ever wonder what happened??

Nothing.

It's sad but true. I got to week three and stopped. But I started again. And again. And again. And got to week three.

Here's the thing. I really want to do a half marathon. I'm inspired by John and Alison. I want to know I've set and accomplished such a great goal. But making it to the 5k mark is all but impossible for me at this point.

So I started the program again. I was going to start last week, but Sarah lost my shoes - really. She's in charge of the shoes in our house and my sneakers disappeared for a week, only to turn up right where I totally thought they should be.

Then I lost my sports bra -- who loses a bra? I know where it was, but when I went to get it? Gone.

So I went to Target and bought a new one. It was all kinds of  uncomfortable.

So back I went, for another one.

Success!

I downloaded the app couch-to-5k onto my iPhone and it lets me use my own playlist (no, I don't run to Josh Groban. I run to the Burlesque soundtrack and Marine drills.).

Then it snowed last night and was 31* this morning. BUT, I put on my thermal running tights (so pretty. You have no idea.), my under armour shirt and my fleece.

And I ran.

For about 10 minutes.

Hush.

I was alone at the park, which is usually really busy with people. And it started to freak me out.

Only my footprints. What if another set suddenly appeared??

OMG, and my mind was off and running. Soon I was the star of a Lifetime movie. And Nicole Kidman was playing me. Christopher Walken was the abductor. Because he's creeptastic. Always.  When my mind created a friendly but wise police officer who would solve the case, played by Morgan Freeman, natch, I was done. I veered off toward my van, jumped in and locked the doors.

I was still totally alone.

Duh.

I'm going again tomorrow.

17 comments:

  1. I truly <3 this post . . . I've done the same thing while running in a light snow, worry about another set showing up, and then something bad happening to me.

    And I'm closer to a truck than a human when I run (size-wise . . . speed-wise, I'm much closer to a sloth), so it's a very different thing for me.

    I promise that c25k gets easier after week 3.

    And I've lost a bathing suit, so don't sweat the sports bra ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make movies inside my head too. It help during exercise (and for a variety of other things too). Good on ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still get freaked out running at night. I normally only run with one headphone in at all times because I worry someone is going to run up behind me and get me. Or maybe I need to slow down because if someone comes to attack me and I have to run away, I won't have energy. Yeah, I'm a freak.

    But YAY! You can do C25K and then go from there. I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did one day of C2K. One.

    Fail.

    I am just not a runner. It's sad, but I do like to walk. So there's that.

    I was right there with you on the killer thing. I went to the park at 3pm in Denver during the day with lots of people and thought everyone coming towards me was going to stab me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it too! Do you know Sara @ Domestically Challenged??! You should! Haha! By the way, my situation is as frustrating as yours. I can make it to like week 8, oh yeah, slogging out all 30 minutes. And then? Something happens and I quit. Yep, week 8 on Dec 3rd! And the last time I ran?? *sigh* yes, Dec 3rd :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christopher Walken..you kill me.
    Hey 10 minutes is 10 minutes. Better than me walking 10 steps to the fridge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sound like me with that worrisome imagination. I'm constantly thinking up morbid stuff that could, maybe, potentially, possibly happen to me or one of mine.

    I've tried running at different times in my life, both outside and on the treadmill and I just don't get it. It's not my thing. Plus, it bulks up my legs every single time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I love how your mind wanders like that. Mine does the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to know I'm not alone in my imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My imagination sometimes get the best of me, that's for sure. But today is a sunny bright day and I think I'll try again :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Christopher Walken. Creeptastic all the way. :) And Donald Sutherland, it was a toss up between the two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Week 8?? You rock! I'll have to go visit Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for the cheerleading!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes. Except I created imaginary people. We're quite a team, we are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. lol, as long as the movie is a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, John. The movie thing/worrying deal seems to not be uncommon - thankfully! If I can make it past week 3 this time I'll be so happy. And then keep on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have totally creeped myself out being alone at a park like that before... Although I never made it as far as casting the lifetime movie ;) you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete