Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Why I Love My Shrink

She returns my phone calls,  after hours, on her cell, and doesn't mind when I call her back.

She talks to me for 30 minutes, figuring out why I'm feeling the way I am.

She listens to everything I say.

She suggests two solutions.

We pick one together.

We talk about how this weather out here on the East coast, the dreariness and the long days is effecting me.

We talk about alternative methods to just upping my meds.

We explore all options.

Then we come to an agreement, a three part plan.

1: Get more sleep at night.

2: Change my med doseage and how I take it

3: Get a 'sun' lamp to my melatonin levels regulate.

Just talking to her helped tremendously. I feel 100% better already. (I know I'm not. I know I have to wait for the meds to kick in, for the sleep to help and get a lamp. But

7 comments:

  1. What you really are describing, beside the medical care, is a friend who just helps you with your life.
    I`m glad that you managed to find this type of relationship with your shrink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shrink sounds like a great one . . . I'm in the market for a new one. My guy keeps on pushing meds - while I'm not any right now, the first thing he suggests, sleeping pills, will absolutely not work.

    And while he consistently says that I need them, that makes his suggestion of antidepressants null & void in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're supported, girl. Incredible when someone cares about you and your health!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such an important relationship. She probably also loves you as a patient - that you are willing to be honest and open and trust her knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having a good doctor is such bonus. It really does make a difference in your fight against this illness.
    You're doing all that you can. Keep trucking. You're going to beat this.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you have such an awesome support... Sounds like a good plan. I am curious about the sun lamp idea! It is so cold here right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lamp imitates the light the sun gives, not the UV rays. It keeps the darkness at bay, I guess you could say. You're only supposed to use it for a couple hours a day. I'm still researching it. I'll let you know what I find out!

    ReplyDelete