Monday, September 23, 2013

When You Can't Say What NEEDS To Be Said

 

Oh, I have stuff that needs to be said.  Honest? So, so honest. Necessary? Like you wouldn't believe.  And hurtful? Yes.

But for a lifetime there has been hurt going on, one person consistently hurting others, holding people hostage with the hateful behavior, the irresponsible cutting remarks, the careless words that cause tears and more anger.

And I'm so, so done. This is unfair - the stress of events where everyone is together, the worry of "What will happen? Will there be a blow up? Will it just be covert nastiness?"

However, the repercussions of saying something, of calling this person out on their hatred and telling them NO MORE are scary. Telling them that I, and my family, will not participate in this hurtful drama anymore may be worse than remaining quiet.  Which creates a vicious circle - the behavior holds us hostage, yet confronting this behavior may cause such nastiness that I am afraid, thus holding me hostage.

So, do I go the passive - aggressive direction and just avoid all future contact? Leave them to their crowd where this behavior is evidently acceptable? Or do I call them out on it and tell them exactly why they won't be seeing us?

I just don't know. Perhaps I should wait until I'm contacted for something and then say, "No, and this is why."

Again, a vicious circle that I desperately want to end and I'm of course obsessing over.

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. My vote is for passive-aggressive. If you can successfully avoid all contact with this person and it will allow you to remain the better person then go for it! Assuming you can be at peace with just walking away. And then when/if you are asked for something you can say your piece.

    I agree that this vicious circle sucks. And I have to say that having recently walked away from a drama-filled situation has made me much happier!!! I let the other person have the last word and as hard as that was to do....I was the better person and walked away. And I'm 100% happy with my decision.

    So I say, go for it!! Walk away!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get this completely.
    Someone in our family has an undiagnosed mental illness and he can be very evil. He has no filter and when he says things they are hurtful ... and yes...he is scary.
    I just distanced myself. No sense in causing a massive blow up. Because it would be.
    much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah . . . this is what I have to do. As much as I'd like to write a scathing letter and call her out on her hatefulness, it will just make things worse. Of course, this means that I'll be forced to see her soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, this seems to be the consensus. It's driving me crazy to sit back - but I'm also awful at confrontation, so really, it should have been an easy decision!I guess this time she just went TOO far and I'm so very, very done.

    ReplyDelete