Monday, December 13, 2010

Dear Husband, I Am Sorry

Last night we all went out to eat to celebrate my birthday. The kids behaved really well, thanks to the free dough Burtucci's gives out -- genius! The kids gave me the most breathtaking blue topaz ring, pendant and earrings I've ever seen. I cried. I've spent the day gazing at them on and off.

Then my husband gave me his gift. And I was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, return the wife and get a new one.

Last week he asked what I wanted, and I had a specific pair of running tights I wanted. I showed them to him. I left the room. Fast forward to last night. I pulled black clothing out of the bag . . . and it was something totally different. I thought he'd been sent the wrong item. So I said, "These aren't the right tights."  His face fell. Oh. Can I please rewind?

Cue 3 hours of arguing. He was mad because what I wanted wasn't in stock and he was sure what he bought would work. I was mad because what he bought will not work and I showed him what would. And the arguing continued.

But that's not the point. This is the point.

Dear Husband,

Thank you for thinking of a way to keep me warm. Thank you for wanting me to be warm as I attempt to train for this upcoming 5k. Thank you for supporting me in this crazy effort. Thank you for spending the few minutes of free time you had shopping for me. I am sorry that I did not immediately see this. I honestly thought you had been sent the wrong item. I am sorry that I was so tactless. I am sorry that I did not see the kindness in your wanting me to be warm. I am sorry I did not see the love in your spending the few minutes you had on me. I am sorry I got angry. I am sorry we went to bed angry, something we said we won't do. I am sorry I had to prove my point and be right. I am sorry that I had to have the last word. Thank you for being the better person. Please forgive me.

I love you more today then the day we said, "I do." I didn't know this kind of love was possible. You support me, hold me up, love me and make me laugh. You're a better husband and father than I ever dreamed you would be. I am blessed every day I am with you and I promise to show you that.

All My Heart,

Me

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so sweet. I hate when things get out of control and all you want is a stupid rewind button.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace @ Arms Wide OpenDecember 13, 2010 at 4:23 PM

    that happens all too often to us as well. just shows how self centered we are as humans. but your apology is beautiful.
    & hope you had a great birthday despite the argument :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet, heartfelt apology. I am sure you were forgiven after that.
    Happy belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If this had a "like" button, I'd hit it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We find that sometimes you need to "sleep it off" in order to find the right words to make up for the wrong words. A very nice apology.

    ReplyDelete