Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blognonymous

The Daily Dribbles
  "I am participating in The Daily Dribbles and Domestically Challenged Blognonymous Blog Hop. The post below is not my own post. I'm hosting a post for someone else, and in turn, someone else is also hosting a post of mine, all anonymously. Click through the links below to view all the bloggers and posts in Blognonymous." 


Christmas is a time for traumatizing your children.There is a home nearby with an elaborate Christmas lights display each year. Some nights, Santa is even standing out front passing out candy canes. I took my 2 boys, ages 7 and 2, this year on one of those lucky occasions where Santa was present. Santa approached the side of the car where the 7 yr old was seated so I rolled down his window (those back windows only go about 2/3 of the way down anyway) and Santa proceeded to nearly stick his head inside the car as he attempted to pass out the candy canes. The 2 yr old was scared beyond belief and began shrieking. Shrieking! Only Santa seemed to be undaunted. I was trying to tell Santa that it was ok, the little one didn't really need a candy cane. But Santa didn't pick up on my eagerness to roll the window up and settle my traumatized child. What did Santa do next? He REALLY wanted each of us to have a candy cane so he reached through my front passenger side window to hand them to me in the driver seat. I quickly took them and allowed the car to start rolling forward as a clue to Santa that, although we appreciated his generosity, we were now finished with him. I looked back at my poor child and began the process of reassuring him that he was fine, but it was really a pitiful sight to see.

There he was, strapped in tightly to that carseat, unable to move, and his little eyes the size of saucers. Sure it's a bit funny now, but not so much at the time.

And it wouldn't really be fair to traumatize one child without traumatizing the other, now would it? So the 7 yr old made out a lengthy, detailed Christmas list this year and my husband and I did our best to sort through it and purchase the gifts we thought were appropriate. After said shopping had already been completed, my son comes home from school one afternoon to tell me that Santa had visited his school and he got to sit on Santa's lap and tell him what he wanted for Christmas. It turns out he only asked Santa for two things. A Lego Wii remote and an electric sno cone maker. Yep, two things we didn't buy for him! But we had a good reason for choosing not to buy those specific items. I was so worried he would feel betrayed by Santa on Christmas morning. But I suppose all is well that ends well, because Christmas morning came and went and not one word has been said about anything that he didn't receive. What a great kid!



--


?

13 comments:

  1. Hahaha. Your poor baby. I can only imagine his big eyes and freak out at Santa literally coming into the car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only my almost 4 year old still isn't into Santa, so I can't imagine your poor 2 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha!! We always tell the kids that we are in constant contact with Santa and he has to ask our permission before getting something. An example: DD asked for a puppy this year. Sadly, Santa did not get approval from us for said puppy, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post to host..
    How funny what Santa can do to children. Either they like him or are scared of him. What a sweet boy you have..

    Stopping by from the party..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you said funny now, but not at the time :). The same thing happened with my son and his Christmas list last year, but all was well in the end

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember my son being terrified of the Easter Bunny. And yes, it is tough when your child asks Santa for something either too expensive or that you haven't bought.

    My father once made up this story to cheer up my crying brother Christmas Day. He said that the Elf grabbed the wrong toy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea for a blog hop...I could cop to all sorts of bad parenting! Yes, Christmas is the most traumatizing time of the year, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids hate Santa. Well, they like him... they just don't like him anywhere near them LOL So I can totally imagine your little ones' reaction when Santa poked his head in the window!

    And what a great kid that he didn't dwell on what he didn't get!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christmas and Kids....precious and punishing at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! Your poor child. Sometimes Santa just doesn't get it. Man!
    And your 7 y/o wow. So cool he didn't say anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, poor little one!! UGH!! One would think with all the screaming he would have backed out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh Kim! am I ever glad to have met you through this blog link up!! I've laughed, I've cried and I think I've got a lot more reading to do! :) I love me some Josh Groban, but man!!

    ReplyDelete