Monday, January 3, 2011

You Know . . .That Song?

You know how a song can remind you of a certain person or time in your life? Today I was driving along when a song came on the radio, and BAM, I was 17 again. In love for the first time. Just.like.that. The song started, I knew all the words, still. Remember 'mix tapes'? *cringes* yeah, I put it on one. I had to change the station because it was actually so bittersweet. Friends, that was 21 years ago! 21. Gah. But the song yanked me back in time so fast . . . it was nuts. And obviously, I don't still have feelings for that boy, but I remembered those feelings. That first rush. That first feeling of, "Oh, he likes me." The hopefulness for a first kiss. The song? Richard Marx, "I'll Be Right Here Waiting For You." Talk about cheese city! Oh, man, did I feel so old and so young all at once. It got me thinking about other songs that take me places, so I wrote them down for your viewing pleasure.

Neil Diamond's "Forever In Blue Jean's" but really it's "Reverend Blue Jean's." I'll always think of my friend Judy when I hear this song. We've known each other since the age of four, and one of us thought "Reverend Blue Jean's" was the actual name of the song. It's been so long now that I  don't know which one of us. But any Neil Diamond song reminds me of that song, which reminds me of her.

Harry Connick Jr's "We Are In Love" reminds me of two people, both from high school. My friend Tracy and an old boyfriend. We all went to see Harry Connick Jr in concert our Senior year, and it was such fun! Unfortunately, somehow even after 20 years when I hear that song I am reminded of the bad memories. Why is that? (and no. NOT the same boy.)

MC Hammer, "Can't Touch This" Prom. And my friend, Heather. Heather and I had a blast dancing to this song that night and all that summer. When I see 'Hammer Pants' I still think of her!

"Mary Moon" and "Oh What A Night" and some song by a guy who's name is "Toe" all remind me of my days at Central Michigan. The dancing, the bars. Dear lord, the dancing and bars. And especially dancing one night, to a live band with this guy, 'Toe' in it, with my friend, Kim. We thought, no we knew, we were all that. We were at the front of the stage, totally rocking out. She knew the guy, 'Toe' so we were beyond cool. I had to use the bathroom, so I left her for a minute. As I walked across the dance floor I glanced back to see her totally rocking out all by herself. As in alone. On the dance floor. With nobody else. The dance floor was empty except for her. I laughed at her and thought, "Ha! She's totally rocking out all by herself! What a goof!" Then I realized that the floor was empty. Which meant that she and I were the only ones on it. There wasn't one goof there, but two. However, we had the best time. We were all that, thankyouverymuch.

"I'll Be There For You" the theme song from 'Friends." Will forever and ever remind me of my friend, Scott from CMU. We had matching shirts that said, "Just Friends" on them and he was probably the best part of college for me. I secretly still dance to that song, just like Monica in the music video. And I look awesome doing it.

Mark Cohn's "True Companion" is the song my husband and I danced our first dance to. So it gets me every time, but it's never on the radio. I have to hunt down the CD and put it on, which I don't do often enough.

Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me" reminds me of rocking out with the kids in the van. Soccer mom much? All three of them love that song and they can all sing along with it. Even John. It's a riot.

And just today, Violet and Sarah asked for the 'Punkin' Chunkin'' song. I was confused at first. Then Violet started singing it. Well, her version of it anyway. And I quickly realized what it was.

And NO, they have not seen the video.

What songs take you back in time?

10 comments:

  1. love this post! i'll be there for you is a good one for me too! it reminds me of being in my cousin's basement with our friends, watching marathons of old friends episodes when we should have been in high school. i still dance to it too, and according to my little best friend, i am an excellent dancer. gets him laughing every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devan @ Accustomed ChaosJanuary 3, 2011 at 7:39 PM

    SO TRUE!! Something about music is very good at triggering memories and take us RIGHT back there. Scents do that to me too. great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana @Hormonal ImbalancesJanuary 3, 2011 at 8:05 PM

    So many - probably Strawberry Wine is the one that does it for me. Gets me everytime. It reminds me of all of high school for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music is sooo powerful that way. Love Reverend Blue Jeans! I'm an 80's gal....anything 80's me back to college (yeah, I'm a little older than you).

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. Like that old song by Trisha Yearwood, "The Song Remembers When"...
    There are actually some songs I have trouble listening to because of the painful memories they bring to the surface. Music is a powerful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are so many songs that take me back. All of the songs from the Bon Jovi Cross Roads cd take me back to my senior year in high school.

    There are SO many songs that take me back to CMU, frat parties. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so funny - I am friends with the guy that did Mary Moon - too funny.

    Music is so powerful, isn't it. There are quite a few that remind me of all the girls from high school packed into my pickup, blaring the music with a trail of cigarette smoke behind us - ah, to be invincible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Song Sung Blue by Neal Diamond takes me back to a little two year singing it at the top of her lungs. Rubberband Man and she was 4, at the top of her lungs. And anything by Donny & Marie Osmund. Every Friday night our lives stopped so she could watch their show & sing and dance. We watched her watch them. And of course, the Tom Cruise thing from Risky Business, and that same two year old (wait - I think she was 15 or 16 by then) sliding down the hallway in white socks rocking to it. We'd put it on and turn it up just to see her appear to do her thing. She WAS rockin' it! Puff the Magic Dragon, however, always put her to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arg! All you had to do was mention Mary Moon and it's running through my head non-stop now!

    Off the top of my head, the first song I came up with to represent high school is "California Love" by Tupac and Dr. Dre. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It?s the old what goes around comes around routine. Did you acquired lots of links and I see lots of trackbacks?

    ReplyDelete