Monday, February 21, 2011

Grieving

It's no secret that major clinical depression and anxiety stole over two years of my life. I always feel the need to insert major clinical depression and anxiety so you all will understand that I'm not self diagnosing. That it wasn't just a 'difficult' period in my life. That I wasn't just 'going through' something. I know it's because I've heard people say, "Oh, I was so depressed. It was terrible. Major depression. I didn't eat or sleep for like two days." After I stop fantasizing about poking their eyes out, I want to shake them and tell them what my major depression was like. But I don't. No, that's a lie. I do, I totally do.

Anyway, as I'm healing, as I'm 'waking' up from this depression, I'm also beginning to grieve. I had no idea this would happen. It's blindsided me, and while my therapist and psychiatrist have explained the why's of it to me, it is still incredibly difficult to work through.

I'm grieving what I missed emotionally while I was present physically.

Did you catch that?

I physically saw Sarah learn to pedal a trike, but I didn't experience it emotionally. I physically saw John put his face in the water and blow bubbles for the first time, but I didn't experience the joy of it. I psychically saw Violet ride a bike without training wheels, but did not experience the amazement of it. Oh, I smiled, but I didn't feel it.  I bathed my children. But I did not enjoy it. I did not blow bubbles with the soap. I washed and dried them. I did not make funny hair-do's and laugh and giggle. I was there physically, but I was emotionally absent. Now I realize this. And it hurts like hell.

 

Added to this knowledge that I didn't enjoy things, is the new and oh so fun knowledge that I have actual chunks of time that I do not remember. I don't mean like, "I don't remember that conversation." Or "You got a new shirt?" I mean, I flew to Michigan with my three children and I don't remember it.

I recently found a video and couldn't place where it had taken place, or why my husband wasn't in it. It slowly dawned on me that I was in Michigan, with my three small children, and yet my husband was not there. Which meant I had flown. I began looking at more photo's and more video's from that time period and eventually pieced together the trip and  brought back some memories. I call them 'shadow memories.' They are not vivid, or reliable or detailed. And sometimes they are plain wrong.

After I pieced together the trip, I had to go to my husband (hysterical) with the knowledge that I had no knowledge, and what did this mean? We went to  my therapist the next day and began this new journey I'm on, this one we're kind of refer to as 'grief.'

There are many, many things I don't remember. Even more things that I remember but wasn't emotionally present for. And I don't know which one is worse: the not remembering at all, or the remembering but not being able to feel.

15 comments:

  1. I love you for sharing this... I admire you tremendously... I respect you endlessly for your journey... and the pain you feel today.... I'm glad you are feeling, because with today's pain of yesterday, comes tomorrow's joy forever. Playdate time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has to be so hard. I really cannot even imagine. I hope that the process moving through the grief stage is quick and as painless as possible. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so very, very glad you are working through this, that your kids are still so little, that you have such great support, and that you are beating it.

    You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mary :) I actually thought of that day, seeing your house for the first time, when I was writing this. And how that is a shadow memory for me. Thanks for sticking with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kmama, thanks so much. It is hard, but since I'm actually feeling it, that's good. (I try to remind myself of this!) I appreciate you reading, and your support :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That my kids are little . . . such a blessing! I've asked Violet a lot of questions to see if she notices anything different, if she feels like she missed anything. Not a thing. Which is great. Expcept then I'm like, really? Look at me now! :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO there right now. I have an easier time connecting emotionally with my young daughter but I have been emotionally absent from my son's life for so long that I feel annoyed by him sometimes. OK, often. It's not his fault - it's my own and as soon as the annoyance hits I feel guilty for feeling that way because I LOVE him more than I can ever express. How can the two go together? I'm glad that I am finally facing my depression and I am SO glad that you found me so that I could find you and know that I am not alone, no matter how alone in this big world, and small house full of people I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom experienced a major depression and instead of sending her for proper help from a therapist, her doctor over medicated her. She lost huge chunks of time and there are a lot of things that she was present for and she doesn't remember. There are some people who find it amusing that my mother doesn't remember things. I'm not sure if those people just don't understand or if they are completely insensitive. Those lost days and lost memories are so difficult for her.

    Thank you for sharing your experience. I think people who haven't lived through a depression like you did just really don't understand. You are helping people understand and that's so important. I think you are wonderful for putting yourself out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Summer, I know how you feel. Exactly. I'm glad we connected, so very glad. I found you thru Diana @ Hormonal Imbalances. I shared your post on my blog fb page, Baby Feet blog. I don't have a fb button here just yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, the whole finding it amusing about memory loss. It's one thing If *I* make a joke about it or refer to it. But when others do? OMG. The best is when I hear, "But you don't remember that, do you?" Uh, no, but thanks *so* much for reminding me, because I *really* needed it. The insensitivity of others, who don't understand depression, is why those of us with it don't talk about it. And then become ashamed, more depressed and don't get help. Thank you for understanding and reading. I appreciate it so very, very much. I know how difficult it is for your mom. And I'm sorry she had to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim, you are going through such an intense time right now. Reconnecting with yourself, your kids, your life. Thanks for sharing this. It sounds like you are really gaining something from therapy. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Your kids are young, and while there are things in their early years you "missed" there are many more to come. I think that through experiencing what you can now, to the fullest, you might actually fill some of the emotional holes you are feeling now. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for your kind words. :) I'm trying to not be hard on myself, but it's hard. Knowing I was there, and yet not is really frustrating. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never knew that depression could actually steal memories from you like that. So proud of you for overcoming this and you'll get through this part of it too. If there's one thing I know about grieving, it's that it gets easier with time. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had no idea this could happen either. I'm so glad you are "feeling" better. Your strength is admirable. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Karen :) I was just thinking about you before I saw you had commented. Thinking of you and Cindy. Grief is grief, you know?

    ReplyDelete