Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dear John

Four years! Four years, little man, since I first held you and marveled at the fact that you were indeed a boy. I've spent the day thinking about how I kept telling the docs I was in labor, I was contracting, and they didn't believe me. Who can blame them? Every time I got in bed and they put the monitors on me, nothing showed up. Nothing. But when I was up and moving, it was showtime. You came into this world contrary, John Hart. I said, "Let's do this." And you said, "Uh, not so much." The doctors thought I was insane. Thanks for that.

And here we are, four years later. We had your birthday party on Sunday with a  menu of your choosing: grilled cheese sandwiches, tomato soup, animal crackers, yogurt, Trader Joe's fruit roll ups, Bugs Bunny carrots, Oreo's, and a camo colored tractor cake. You loved every minute of it, although you refused the tomato soup, insisting, "I don't like tomato soup."

Yesterday you helped strip wallpaper at Aunt Kerry and Uncle Bryan's new house. I took you there thinking we'd be there for a half hour or so. But you grabbed a hunk of wallpaper and started ripping. Three hours later we left, and you actually helped the entire time! You pulled the paper off the wall, sprayed water on the wall and scraped the backing off the wall. You were so grown up.

John, I watch you, bouncing past me on your blue bouncy ball (omg, Aunt Kim? I'm sending it to your house. He's bouncing on it inside your house. Fair is fair.) and my heart seriously aches. You still love to cuddle with me, all curled up in a ball, snuggled as close as you can possibly be. You put your impossibly cold feet on my thighs and curl your toes, just like you did when you were tiny. You suck on your fingers, making soft suckling noises that are reminiscent of when you nursed. When you sleep next to me, you insist that I face you and you keep your little hand on my cheek.

How can you be four? I'm not ready for my baby to be growing up. You're my last, and I know I'm holding on to you more tightly than your sisters. I know. So forgive me if I hug a little longer, insist on more kisses, let you cuddle in the morning when we should be getting ready for the day.

20 comments:

  1. so sweet! now i am craving grilled cheese & tomato soup! yum;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Brought a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this makes me cry. I know the hand on the cheek thing all too well.

    Happy birthday John!

    ReplyDelete
  4. last month, my giant, smelly, too cool for words boy sat on my lap for practical reasons too long to explain. But my blood pressure decreased, and my endorphins increased, and I again became aware of that special love that you also have for the "baby" boy in a house full of sisters. Thanks for finding beautiful words for those feelings that most can't understand. And Happy Birthday John!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy every minute of it. He'll be 7 before you know it. Dracen has recently started wanting me to read to him again every night at bedtime and although he's completely capable of reading to himself now, I'm not about to say no!
    Happy Birthday to John!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!!!!

    Not gonna lie, I teared up there at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  7. grilled cheese and tomato soup is like the ultimate comfort food, isn't it? Thanks for coming over. I saw you on Blair's blog roll - way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks, Karen :) I cried when I wrote it, I admit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your kind words, Liza. And for the birthday wishes. I hope, so so hope he will still be willing to sit on my lap every now and again when he is giant and smelly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 7! Gah. Violet is almost 8, and I just can't picture my 'baby' there. It's hard enough on the heart with my first born 'baby' there. You know how it is. This is why Michelle Duggar keeps having kids, right here. To keep a baby in the house, always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, thanks, Kate. Are you ready for Lboy's birthday?? I'll send you tissues -- and fried pickles :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. His little hand on your cheek? I die.

    Sweet post, lady.

    And Happy Birthday, little man.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Happy Birthday to him!! I was getting teary, but mostly thinking about that tractor cake. I'd really really like some cake right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The hand on my cheek gets me every.single.time. It's why I still let him crawl in bed with me in the middle of night. Thanks for the birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cake was insane-- insane. Baby poo green. He called it camoflauge . . but really? Just nasty. Thanks for the birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so beautiful! And I love the picture--he's adorable. I bet this letter will melt his heart some day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Beth. I do love that pic of him. He still has those tools and tries to fix things all the time. Hope Jane is doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Diane,
    As a former elementry school teacher, I say thank you for reading to your son, and please don't stop! One of the greatest predictors of academic success is whether a child has been read to by a parent.
    Just because a child can read doesn't mean that reading aloud should stop, because you can share books that are above his current reading level, which will encourage him to keep reading so he can get to more "good stuff."
    It is as important that children love books as it is that they learn the skills required to read, because that will ensure that they keep reading later on.
    Good work, Mom!
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, so sweet! These letter posts always make me weepy, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, Good posts here. I just wanted to include to your great blog post that I think it is nice information and worthwhile tips… thank you so much for sharing this! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete