Wednesday, March 23, 2011

If I Hadn't Gone Crazy

I lost time, when I lost it. I lost details, and memoreis. Some of them are small, minute details that would mean nothing to anybody else. To me? They mean so much. When did Violet learn to tie her shoes? When and why did I stop cloth diapering John? I enjoyed it so much.  How did Sarah stop wetting the bed at night? Did we use pull ups? Cloth training pants? How did I transition Sarah and John from bottle to sippy cup? I remember that with Violet. I don't with Sarah or John. I remember Violet's chubby legs as she toddled across the floor, learning to walk. I barely remember Sarah's. And John's? Only when I see pictures can I put those images into my mind.

Want to talk guilt? Because I've got some.

And then there's the possibility of time that I lost.

My husband and I always said we'd have four children. We have three. And after John he made sure we were done. I was completely fine with that. God knew what was coming and that we could not have another baby in the coming years. So this was a blessing. My mind understands this. My mind knows that we had to do this. My mind knows.

But my heart? My heart beats out the words, "If I hadn't gone crazy I could be holding a baby. If I hadn't gone crazy I'd be loving on a sweet, soft newborn. If I hadn't gone crazy I could be nursing again."

My heart beats these words every night. Every night as it grows dark and I crawl into bed my heart begins the pattern. I lay close to my husband and know that we will sleep all night, uninterrupted by a baby's cry.

And so my heart cries.

Because if I hadn't gone crazy I would remember all of my babies sweet, chunky legs. I would have clear memories of bedtime, and birthday's. I would have cherished all the hugs. If I hadn't gone crazy I'd have another baby to hold and rock and nurse and love.

If I hadn't gone crazy.

But I did.

And so my heart cries. And I grieve. But I know that I will heal. I will.

29 comments:

  1. ((hugs))

    I don't know what to say. Other than this post was hard to read as a mother and as your friend. And I am sorry for what you went through, and so happy that you are able to move forward and enjoy the here and now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs. And love to you. You are a strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I have to yell at you. You DID NOT GO CRAZY - you were sick! You have a disease that will be with you for the rest of your life, but you are getting the help you need and you are on the road to recovery because you are an incredible strong woman, who got the help she needed.

    Secondly, I'm sorry you are hurting. I always wanted a little girl, but after my miscarriage, getting through the pregnancy with Chris was hard enough - I knew I'd never survive another miscarriage and I quit. I'm a quitter, but you know what....

    God gave us both beautiful, healthy children who we are kick-ass mothers to.

    Remember that you have three wonderful gifts sent from heaven, and that's what God had planned for you from the beginning.

    You are a wonderful mom, with 3 great children. Focus on that NOT on the what ifs...

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had something to add but I don't. Just sending hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Commenting for your test.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I understand the craving of another baby. I don't understand the other part...but it has to hurt. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm scared to "get started" on our second baby - my husband is adamant we're having two and no more. It might break my heart.

    I'm so glad you're healing, dear. *hugs* You're making memories every day now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your support, Diana :) You know I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm holding onto that. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, you're so awesome. Thank you so, so much for ALL of your suppor. I love you so very, very much. SO much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those hugs mean a lot. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The craving is hard, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen is so right. You did not go crazy (even though I can relate to the fact that it probably totally felt that way) and you did the right thing by taking care of yourself rather than having another. It sounds way too much like you are beating yourself up for it and blaming yourself...don't do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was wonderfully written but painful to read. Time doesn't heal all wounds but God does. I'm grateful that one day, we could ask Him all sort of questions and see that Romans 8:28 where He worked all things in our lives for good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The term 'Crazy' is soooo 2010. I prefer, 'Sanity-Challenged', it sounds cooler. I also refer to wine as 'Sanity-Sauce', I think its catching on. I might start my own Mountain Momma Dictionary!


    Hey, having babies can be super tough on our bodies and minds, especially in this age of uber-parenting. Good for you for talking about it, just remember, time is very kind to us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're right, I am making memories every day now. Thank you for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Lynn, thank you for these words. Taking care of myself. I forget that I had to do that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pop, thank you for these words. God does heal, I khow this. Sometimes I'd just like to be able to ask him RIGHT now what His plan is, you know? Thanks so much for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sanity-challenged. Theresa, you are my new favorite person. FAVORITE. Sanity-sauce. I'ma gonna have a lil of that tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, honey... my heart is so heavy as I read this, because I understand. I feel all the time like my "craziness" is going to keep us from having what we want. I get the whole head vs. heart matter when it comes to God taking care of us, and all I can tell you is that He wants to know your heart! He is there to hold you while you cry about it... even if He knows what is best, He also knows that we are fragile and don't always want what is best or give up easily. It is ok to be filled with sorrow for what could have been for a while, just don't let it overtake you. Because what IS is something wonderful, and you don't want to miss that now :) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. http://blmerrill.blogspot.com/2011/03/prayers-from-heart.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just spent the past 15 minutes reading some of your back posts and wanted to tell you how beautiful your blog and your writing is. I love that you're so transparent. What a story you have to share with the world and through it you will probably help many other people heal.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much, Greta! It means a lot to me that you looked around. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for this, Branson. I appreciate your support so, so much. I know you understand, so it really helps. Sorry it took me a while to get to this, somehow I missed this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very cool website, but you must improve your template graphics.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awsome post. Bookmarked for future referrence

    ReplyDelete