Friday, March 18, 2011

In Which I Suck Wind

I've started training for a 5K. And by 'training' I mean I've gone jogging once. But, baby steps, right? However, I did download the entire program of Couch to 5K onto my ipod, found a jogging stroller and geared up yesterday morning.

I packed a blanket for John, a water bottle for me, my ipod, the stroller and sunglasses for both of us. I dropped Sarah at school and John and I headed to the park where I would embark on my awesome training. (Think: stylish thermal running tights, fitted

[caption id="attachment_524" align="alignright" width="150" caption="This is *totally* what I looked like. *totally*"][/caption]

 thermal shirt, cute bouncy pony tail, eco friendly Nagalene bottle, sleek nano ipod, lipstick, hot shades, adorable cute child in camouflage clothing) If you've never listened to a session of the couch to 5K program, it truly is genius. The one I picked is by a woman with a lovely British accent, who tells you how wonderful you are, what a great thing you are doing by choosing to get healthy, then tells you when to 'lightly jog' and 'walk at a brisk pace.' Since I somehow managed to delete week one of the program, I had to do week two. Which meant that yesterday I was jogging for 90 seconds and 'walking at a brisk pace' for 90 seconds.

Shut yer yaps if you are scoffing at this.

I was also pushing a 15 pound stroller which was carrying a 37 pound child in it. I know exactly because I weighed them.

And I was chatting, the entire freaking time. With John. Non stop. Non freaking stop. *sobs*

His little voice is just so incredibly cute. It's all raspy and deep. I think it's like this from all the severe reflux he had as an infant and toddler, but omg is it beyond adorable. And when we are alone? And he knows he's got my undivided attention? He turns on the charm. Suddenly he's all Tony Bennet and Clark Gable and "Oh, sweet, loving, perfect Mummy. How I love your amazing meals. You are the most beautiful mother, nay, women, in the world. My friends dream of a mom as perfect as you."

Anyway.

I get us all set up, get him tucked in and sun-glassed up, get one ear bud in so I can hear the lovely British lady and still hear John should calamity suddenly strike. I point out interesting things for John to see before we take off so he has something to keep him occupied while I jog/walk.

And then? Calamity strikes.

Wook Mommy!! Wook at that man! He is running so fast, Mommy! You are walking, Mommy! Are you going to run?

In a minute. I'm warming up.

Are you done warming up? That doggie is fat and he is running vewwy vewwy fast, Mommy! Mommy are you running?

Yup! Mommy is running jogging.

Are we going fast? I don't feel fast, Mommy. Not fast, Mommy! This is slow,Mommy! Wook! That fat doggie go by us again, Mommy! He is running! We are slow!

I'm walking now, John. We'll run again in a minute.

Go through that puddle, Mommy! It's a huge puddle! Make a hooooge splash, Mommy! Moooomy!! That was a little splash! *the stroller is thrown back and forth as John tries to get a better view of the puddle*

My blanket come off, Mommy! My camouflage blanket! *I stop and fix the blanket*

Are we running? I feel slow, Mommy. You must run. Run, Mommy, run! *I am not kidding. I thought I was Forrest Gump*

I am running, John.

That man is running, Mommy. He is fast. And wook! That lady wooks like Grandma.And she is running vewwy fast. *She passes us and says good morning*

*pant pant* Morn *pant* ing *pant*

*hot guy with fat dog laps us again*

It's the fat doggie, Mommy! What is in that mans ears, Mommy?

He's listening to music, John. So he can't hear me panting and laugh at us.

Are we running yet? Are we going fast yet? I feel sloooow, Mommy.

I feel slow, too, John.

*

*In case you lost count, the cute guy w/ the fat dog lapped us about 8 times, the lady who looks like grandma lapped us at least 3 times, and said good morning each time -- requiring me to answer --and there were also the random runners who felt the need to sprint passed us at varying Olympic speeds while smiling kindly.*

But I did it. I finished week two, day one. I sucked wind and panted like a dog in the desert. I did it.

Also? I can't sit today.

27 comments:

  1. Good for you! I've said many times I'm going to take up running and I have tried a few times but I just don't feel the love. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was feeling zero love, Diane. Zero. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! The first few weeks are the hardest.

    I trained for a half marathon a few years ago. One day while I was running around the reservoir a woman slowed down to run next to me. She said "I see you out here all the time and I know you've been struggling. But I can see you getting better...keep it up and you'll get even better. You can totally do this." I then thanked her and she ran off.

    So now I will say the same to you...you are struggling now, but it will get easier. You can totally do this. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really, really hate running. But I know I should do it. My body just doesn't agree with my brain! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha! hilarious! love this. Good luck - you will rock the 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, your stories crack me up!!!

    And good for you running!

    John-sounds precious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, you run? I am amazed, I am not worthy. Good on ya, I only run when I am chasing my kids, fast little buggers...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That whole jogging stroller thing so did not work for me. I have to be in the zone to run, with music blaring in my ears so that I can't hear how badly I'm panting. Audrey never cooperated. I would just get going and she'd chuck something out of the stroller or start whining or need me to hand her something. I couldn't wait to sell the jogging stroller.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that wasn't very supportive, was it? I'm sure you'll do great!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, I am LAUGHING. I'm sorry, but I am. I am sooooo not a runner. Good for you though.

    Keep going and just ignore the other people around you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a 1/2 marathon?? Wow!! I'm so inspired! Thanks for the support -- I so totally need it. I'll be out there tomorrow morning . . . w/ John. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my body and brain are soooo fighting each other on this. It's the huges war. But I have to be at the pool every.single.day again this summer. And I'm not doing it feeling all icky this year like I did last year. So I'm going to rock a 5k and at least feel all healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope so! That's what I keep telling myself -- I'm looking for one to sign up for this week. And I'm going to run it without a stroller and a 37 lb kid, so it should be a tad easier, right??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bring on the running tips! I know you have some good ones . . . so I'm waiting, Kate :) And I'm *pretty* sure fried pickles are not included, right??

    ReplyDelete
  15. No, I don't 'run.' I pant and gasp behind a stroller. And so far only once. Tomorrow will be day 2. God help us all. :) But maybe this will help me catch these 3 that run me ragged over here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You crack me up! John is not cooperating, either, so we'll have to see how it goes. But the only time I can really go is while Sarah is in school, so I have to make it work with him. Pushing him and all his 37 lbs should make running a 5k w/o his added weight total cake, right??

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going to be trying really, really hard to ignore the other people, that's for sure. Of course, with John pointing them out it's going to be interesting! I'll keep you posted . . .

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG, I sat here at my desk laughing so hard I had tears coming out of my eyes. You are the best story teller!!!!
    And BRAVO for you getting in shape!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i saw so many couch to 5K apps the other day when i was looking. which one did you download? i was thinking about doing this too! with spring coming on (not today obviously... with the hail) i want to do some outside exercising!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You always, always crack me up! But you inspire me too... keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Getting in shape . . . we shall see. Today was supposed to be day 2 of the training but it's raining. I have to do this though -- I have this 'event' I want to look hot for.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'll look at what the name of it is -- it's the least annoying one I found. The music isn't all crazy techno, which is a bonus. I did find one program that lets you load your own music, then sync it w/ their voice prompts. Of course, I think my ipod is broken, so this is looking to be a great idea . . .

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, Branson! I'm really, really hoping to do this! I'm signing up for a 5k this week if it's the last thing I do!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A. I don't appreciate you taking pictures of me running in the woods - that is stalker like.

    B. I hated C25K with a passion and did 3 days of it. I could not run for 30 seconds. Go me.

    C. I am laughing so hard. Seriously Kim, this was the like the best post ever. EVER. You are so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm going to start sucking wind on Monday!! What I mean is, I've downloaded the Couch to 5k program to my handy dandy ipod touch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. [...] weeks ago, so that puts me on . . . day 2. Yeah, that’s right. The regular crowd remembers my first day of training . . . and may be wondering why I haven’t mentioned day 2? Because it hasn’t happened. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  27. Discovered your website while I was looking for material for our web page, needless to say this isn't all releative nonetheless its interesting how one can access a web site by mistake and discover oneself looking through something very different but just as worthwhile. I tend to get diverted a hell of a lot like this.

    ReplyDelete