Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Thank You, Eastah Bunny

When Violet was three the Easter Bunny freaked her out. She woke up, screaming, yelling that the Easter Bunny had snuck into her room and touched her on her elbow. (I have no idea.) My husband had to take her from room to room and show her that the windows were all locked to prove that the stupid bunny could not get into our house. That was the year that outside egg hunts began - because the bunny was not allowed into our house. He left the baskets on the porch and hid the eggs in the yard.

This year I was running, uhm, slightly behind in my Easter purchasing. Behind in that I was at Target at 5 o'clock on Saturday night. So I talked with the kids and discussed that the big Bunny hides the eggs and Mom and Dad get them the cool gift -- because I needed to know what cool outdoor thing they wanted. I didn't have the time to run around town looking.  They thought that was the coolest thing ever, and gave me a list of five thousand things. Well done.

About midnight Sarah began screaming. Screaming. (and when she screams? Glass breaks.) She launched herself into our bed, sobbing that she'd heard hopping. Hopping. Are you kidding me? My husband tried to console her. No, I did not try to console her. Why? Because I was laughing so hard the bed was shaking and I was crying. He was kicking me. Repeatedly. Pretty sure I'm bruised. When she couldn't calm down I told him, "Listen, Violet freaked out because 'he' was going to touch her elbow. Now Sarah is losing it over hopping. Burst this bubble. I'm fine with it. What's it going to be with John? Just pop the bubble."

So my husband, very gently,  told Sarah, "Honey, there is no Easter Bunny. Mommy and Daddy are the Easter Bunny. We hide the eggs."

Sarah got very, very still. She stopped crying. She looked at him. She wiped her eyes and said, "No, you're not. The Easter Bunny is the Easter Bunny."

He explained some more. She said, "I heard him hop."

Well, then.

She slept with us the rest of the night, lest she hear the freaking frackin' rodent come hopping down the bunny trail, woke up in the morning and ran downstairs to find her Easter Basket that I bought and I told her I was buying and yelled, "Look! The Easter Bunny came! Look what he brought me! I knew I heard him hopping!"

Seriously?

But I had my say. Because today the kids began talking about the Easter Bunny. I was willing to let it go. So we told her the truth and she didn't believe us. Fine. Then I hear, "Well, the real Easter Bunny is dead. So this bunny took his place. But the real one has been dead a loooong time."

What the what?

So. I.burst.that.bubble.

Because, really? I'm going to let them think that some long dead rabbit passed on the job to this bunny, who touches random elbows, hops by the house and waves? Judge if you must, but this is some magic I can do with out.

(and I did do it gently. Honest. I'm not that mean.)

17 comments:

  1. Oh man, I've been in Target at 5pm on Holy Saturday...there ain't a chocolate egg to be had in that joint! I hope that you were able to find something left on the shelves. And good for you for giving her the straight dope...it's all on her now if she chooses to continue to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goooosshhh!!!! This was hip hopping hilarious!!!!!!
    When Nick was little I had the brilliant idea of dropping Easter grass up the stairs to his room, so when he woke up he would think the Easter Bunny went to visit him when he was sleeping.
    When I got up on Easter morning, the grass was gone. I was like WTH???!!!??? A few hours later the mystery was solved when my cat, Devotion, started to poop it out - for daaays.
    LOL
    Gotta love Easter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Where do your kids come up with this stuff? I've never heard of anyone being terrified of the Easter Bunny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buster didn't really want the Easter Bunny coming to our house either. But he was certainly happy to receive his basket.

    LOL at "hopping."

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so funny! Your kiddos crack me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those easter bunnies can be terrifying, who wants a rodent sneaking into your house in the middle of the night. I was up at 5am nibbling at the carrots my daughter left out for him. Sigh...when I tell her she will be crushed.

    Your kids are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahahahahaha! Your kids make me so happy! They just crack me up!

    I remember having nightmares about Teddy bears when I was 6 or 7...those things were evil! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only candy there was scattered all over the floor! I bought hula hoops etc and left the candy to my husband. He went out and bought about 7 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poo-ing Easter grass. Awe.some. Only you!! Well, Devotion did eat ANYTHING!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is what happens when you have a dramatic mom. Oh yes it is! ;) *cannot wait for Bella to start really conversing with you!*

    ReplyDelete
  11. They'll always take the good stuff, won't they? I tried to comment on your sweet doggie, but I came in through FB and it wouldn't let me. 110 lbs of lap dog --I'm cracking up! What a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are tad dramatic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The rodent thing -- that's exactly why I decided to tell the truth! And you're a good mom for nibbling on those carrots!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooh, do you remember Teddy Ruxbin, or was that before your time? Google him . . . or not. The nightmares will come back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uh yeah he was creepity creepy to the max!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness! Funniest easter post EVER! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL! I'm sorry to laugh, but oh so funny. Kids are just crazy I tell ya. The manufacturing we do to make sure we get the stories right. I love it. And the fact that Easter Bunny was banned from INSIDE your house.

    ReplyDelete