Wednesday, April 20, 2011

This Is Why

Last night I chatted with a friend across the Atlantic Ocean. We've never met in person, but she is a dear, dear friend and I love her deeply. She's warm and funny, kind and loving. She has the sweetest smile and the absolute loveliest voice. Recently she sent me an e-mail with the subject line, "Hey Kim" and then she just asked for help.

A mutual friend, knowing what I've been through, suggested she tell me what was going on. And so we've been talking two or three times a week about depression and meds and therapy. About doing the work and how hard it is. About letting go of things and making new habits. About crying jags, memory loss, triggers, living, not living, surviving and the fact that she will survive and dammit, she will live. (Do you hear me? I know you are reading. You will.)

A few days ago I received an e-mail from a fellow blogger asking if she could pick my brain. So we talked. Turns out she's visiting this play ground I call depression, as well.  We've exchanged a few e-mails, laughed at our 'TMI' moments (uhm, I still win, I blogged about it!) and I think I actually answered a few of her questions.

And so I realized, I did it. When I started this blog I wanted to help just one person. I wanted to let just one person know that they were not alone in this. I wanted to encourage, cheer, push and love on other people who felt unloved in this ugly place of depression. I wanted to explain depression in easy, every day, no nonsense terms so others could understand. I wanted to make others see the humor in this situation, because I see it.

Somehow, in some crazy way, I did a little bit of that.

My friend across the Atlantic is explaining her depression to her friends as she is experiencing it. Do you see the wonder in that? She 's telling them about it in real time.

If is sounds like I'm patting myself on the back? It's because I am. These two ladies let me know that I am getting the word out. And that was my goal. (So, my emotional vomiting on you all is working. Yay for you!)  :)

13 comments:

  1. She beat me to it! I was gonna say I love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome and brave for sharing your story and I am sure you have helped out a few more people you don't even know about.

    You keep it real, sassy, and honest. Never change...

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You deserve more than just a pat on the back. Seriously. Go shopping or something. And I'm very sure that you've helped more than just one person. You totally rock, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful feeling, isn't it? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Theresa :) I think I like being called sassy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shopping . . . hmmm. :) Thanks, Lynn. It means a lot to know you read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is wonderful. And I never really thought it would happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is truly awesome. I'm so glad your story, and you, were able to help others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks :) It's so hard to put this stuff out here sometimes, yet I honestly have felt like I have to. Now I know why.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Friend you deserve that pat on the back. Because what you are doing makes a difference and raises awareness. For that I'm so grateful.

    ReplyDelete