Friday, September 9, 2011

Everywhere Around The World . . .

They come into America

On a boat or on a plane

They come into America

 

I heard Neil Diamond's iconic 'America' the other day while driving and I was taken back immediately to those first few hours of September 11, 2001. As a child I loved this song. As an adult it brings me to tears and hold many horrific memories. Not mine, mind you. I wasn't personally effected, other than how most of us were. But the images of that day will forever be burned in my mind, as camera's caught it all, feeding it all to us live.

That Tuesday I was very self absorbed, as on Saturday my husband and I were getting married. That, obviously, changed. It changed even more when family started canceling because they felt safer at home. We were getting married in New Jersey, just one about an hour and a half from Ground Zero. One couple canceled because her father was in the North Tower. He didn't make it out.

To say I was humbled is a vast understatement.

We briefly considered canceling the wedding. But then my husband said, "No. We.don't.Negotioate.With.Terroists. We'll get married in a bomb shelter if we have to. But we're doing this."

The church where we were we married is over 200 years old. To get down the isle I had to exit the church, walk through a little court yard to the front of the church, which faces the road, climb the stone steps and enter through the front doors. It was a beautiful little walk with my dad, and climbing those steps while holding my dress up was fun.  I vividly remember standing outside those huge red doors, waiting for them to be flung open and cars flashing by. Every single one of them honked their horn, yelled out their window and wistled.

95% of them also yelled, "God Bless America!" Because we needed this. We needed to celebrete something. To begin to breathe. To fight. So that night we did.

Where were you?

8 comments:

  1. I would have honked and yelled for you too.

    I was working at the mall. Boring true story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was... about to grow up a whole lot that day. I'm so glad you and your husband went ahead with your wedding as planned - you were a bright light to all, reminding your friends and family that love triumphs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that story from you before and I loved getting to hear it again!! :)

    I was working for Merck in Rahway, NJ at the time. I was working that day and after we heard the news on TV we all ran to the roof of our factories. We stood there watching as the towers fell. I'll never forget how one minute it was there and then nothing but smoke. Many of my coworkers lived in NY and were stranded so they set up cots in the gym and the cafeteria served everyone dinner. I was working shift-work at the time so I was scheduled to be there until after midnight anyway. I remember talking to my coworkers over the next few weeks, ones who lived in NJ but took the train to work. Their train, which had been packed full - standing room only - was empty. :( So many people on the train who worked in the WTC. I can't believe it's been 10 years.

    I also remember the number of American Flags that hung outside after that. Nearly every house everywhere you looked had a flag. I loved that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was working in Gaineville,FL and first heard the news on the radio. Slowly, and in shock we all filed into the conference room and turned on the TV. A once wild and crazy bunch, were now solomonly quiet. I will never forget seeing the people jumping out of the towers to their death. I wonder if I could have been that brave. I loved the feeling of fellowship I had with every single person I came in contact with after that tragic day. Somehow, this tragedy had managed to united us all. In every storm, if you look very hard you will find a rainbow. That was mine.
    Kim, I truly enjoy reading your blogs and learning about your life. Though I haven't seen you in many years, I feel like I know you just a little bit now. I like it the feeling, so please, keep them coming. You have a very special gift. Perhaps, you should consider writing a book, if even just a combination of your blogs. I know that I would buy it. You are all my family, and I am so proud of you. I hope that one day soon we will be able to get together. Until then, stay safe and God Bless You and Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story, Kim! I love hearing other people's stories, I like the feeling of unity it gives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That song was the first song I ever sang with my college choir. I had just auditioned/joined (Fall of '09) when we were approached to sing at a Constitution Day ceremony where hundreds of people from all over the world would become US citizens. Pop music really isn't our thing but it always got me a little choked up to think about how true the words are for those "coming to America."

    On 09/11/01 I was in the 7th grade, so blissfully oblivious to the world around me- young enough for that to be excusable but old enough to defend it by saying "I have homework.." That all came crashing down that day. To say that that day changed our world forever is no understatement. It made me conscious of things happening outside of my own life, outside my city, state, country. It was the best and worst thing that could've happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was teaching a Grade 1/2 class in London, Ontario, Canada. I stopped into the office to get something at lunchtime and everyone there was gathered around the secretary's desk, watching the towers fall over and over. I could hardly believe that what I was seeing was real.
    Then I had to go back in the classroom and act like nothing had happened, because we weren't supposed to tell the kids yet.
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was at work and my mom called to ask where my brother's job had recently moved to. When asked if it was the twin towers I replied a stern NO, because to work there was one of the coolest places to work, and I would've remembered that. That's when she told me about the first plane. While on the phone with her the 2nd one hit and I knew immediately what was going on. I hung up with her and called my brother, being sent to voice mail. He called me back said he was okay and his office was about 2 blocks away. He spoke to my mom and the last time we heard from him he told her he was leaving to go home. Moments later the first tower collapsed. We didn't know until around 9pm that he was alive.
    Being born and raised in NY that day affected me deeper and more personally than anyone I work with. In fact, being a private person, most people I work with didn't even know I was from there. Yes, I am a NEW YORKER and proud of it. God bless the innocent people that perished and the families left behind. NEVER FORGET!!!

    ReplyDelete