Monday, September 12, 2011

My Heart Is Home Again

I want to paint. Decorate. Plant a garden. Rearrange the furniture. Buy new furniture. Dust. Organize. Polish the floors. I want to make Martha Stewart look at me and say, "Dang, girl. How do you do it?"

I want to cook delicious, from scratch, organic meals every night. I want to volunteer for every single committee at my children's' school. I want to join every group I can find. I want to make all my Christmas gifts this year. I want to 'dress' every day.  I want Stepford wives everywhere to be jealous of me.

Finally. After all that time, all those years of fighting the hairy beast of depression, I'm home. And it's mine.

When I woke up and looked around at my house I realized that it, like me, was just a shell. When we bought it, it needed work. As in every room needed wallpaper stripped, work. While I was fighting, and losing, my battle with depression, the house sat. It wasn't a home to anybody. It was just a place where I existed.

You see, I didn't pour my love, my heart,  into my home. It was a place to sleep. To eat. To fall, exhausted into bed and attempt to lose myself in unconsiousness.

Sometime around February I looked around the house and suddenly said, "What have I done?" Well . . . nothing. That was the problem. We'd remodeled some. But I wasn't in my home. So I began to change that.

Throughout the spring and summer I have painted and cleaned. Put up pictures. Organized and rearranged. Cleaned out flower beds. Planted (and killed) a garden. This? Is my home.

This morning as I came down the stairs in the darkness I had a flash of my girls walking down that very stairway. The stairs gleaming. Smiles on their faces as they greeted prom dates at the front door of their home.

I saw John bringing his friends over to hang out in our kitchen. Eating all our food. Bringing his friends to his home.

And that's when I fully realized that truly, my heart was home again.

15 comments:

  1. What a rousing success story!! It's awesome that you are feeling yourself again, able to planand take on projects. And the more your home feels like you, the easier it will be to feel at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you, Kim! Making a house a home is so much work but also so rewarding at the same time. We've been in this house for 17 months now and I am still busy as a bee but it is finally really feeling like home and there truly is no place like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me smile. There is nothing like having your house feel like a home, not just for you, but for your kids. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me smile way down deep in my heart. Sending you virtual hugs and high-fives!! Martha's got nothing on a Mama with a purpose!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, how sweet. I still feel like our new home isn't OUR home yet. It's just a house. I don't know how to get to the homey feeling we once had and it surprises me because this is what I wanted after all! Hopefully I feel the same as you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post made my heart happy.

    And I'm quite talented at killing a garden.

    Yeah - home is exactly what we make of it - mine has a billion projects in motion, much like myself - always something going on, never, ever "complete."

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful.
    My home currently houses a lot of painful memories. This spring I took a sledge hammer to my bathroom walls...don't worry it was intentional. I used to lock myself in that bathroom for hours crying. Then after my almost suicide attempt, my husband said "We're moving on. Let's break some shit up"...so we did. The bathroom was the first on the list.
    I am not sure that my home will ever get that feel. It's sad but I really don't think it will. We've talked about moving a lot. I know, you can't run away from your problems...but it would be so lovely to start fresh ya know?
    Sorry for the ramble
    So proud of you for defeating this beast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can really identify with this, now that I am coming out of the depression fog I am feeling inspired to do things with our home too. So far I've only gotten as far as hanging a crazy metal sculpture over the fireplace (which I love). But I'm working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know you know SOMEONE was gonna comment on the title of this post, right? Well here it is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! This is huge! I have been hoping that inspiration would strike (and depression would just freaking GO AWAY) but I'm still kind of up and down with it. I'll get energy to do a project, then not be able to muster up the energy to do a follow up project... I'll get there. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You WILL get there. Have faith. Findin the energy is so hard. I completely understand. But hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keren, I was counting on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep working. Just keep working.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My heart is so happy for you. I'm sure it'll be perfect.

    ReplyDelete