Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Dance

I've had many mom's ask me (in the real world) why we chose dance for our girls, and how we chose the studio we are with. On some level I'm always a little embarrassed to tell them whywe chose dance. When I say it out loud I always fear it will sound materialistic to others, especially those 'non' dance mom's. But here's the reason:

[caption id="attachment_982" align="alignright" width="300" caption="June 2011 dance recital"][/caption]

Ballet helps makes you graceful. A dancer moves with grace and purpose.

However, I always feel the need to add that it's a skill. It can be a talent. Dance  keeps them active. It's also a discipline, something I believe our children (not just mine) are lacking today. It's something I wished, badly, that I had pursued as a child/teen.

And obviously, we have them in it because they enjoy it.

Most dance mom's I've talked to feel the same, but I always fear that if/when I say, "Ballet dancers are graceful and hold themselves so well," I'll get a judgey look. Like, "That's the reason you chose dance?"  Well, yes. And the others I listed.

But here's what I don't say, unless specifically asked:

Our girls will dance until they are 12, regardless of if they like it.

I know.

But I believe it is that important to build these skills, this discipline.  During Violet's first year of dance we decided that at 12 they could stop if they wanted. That 12 is an age where they would be making good enough decisions to stop dancing if they weren't enjoying it.

Thankfully, both girls enjoy it immensely, are eager to get to dance and constantly want to add more classes. But can you imagine the parenting dilemma I'm going to have if one of them decides that they don't want to dance any more? Because, honestly, I'll be heartbroken. I love watching them dance, and I love how they enjoy it. If that changes . . . . well.

After that question, the next one is always, "Why did you chose this studio?"

And I always answer the same, with no embarrassment: It's the best. 'Our' girls go to California every year with Dance Excellence and win awards. 'We' have dancers on Broadway and in commercials, etc. I love how Mrs. A runs her studio. She means business - this is a discipline. The girls are expected to wear certain clothing, come prepared, have their hair neat and off their face. Mrs. A is also the nicest, most loving dance instructor. Sarah bloomed with her as a teacher. Mrs. A knows every student's name, and their parents by site. This studio is also careful about the song content (no sexy songs for the little ones, and I've only seen one tad racy routine for the Seniors. And it was beyond amazing.), keeping the little ones 'little' and not overworking their bodies. I cry at the recitals every.single.year because without fail there is at least one dance that is so well done I'm overcome by the beauty of it.

These reasons are all great reasons for choosing our studio. My reasons for having the girls dance? Well. Some I know would disagree with them. Right now they work for us.

6 comments:

  1. I was in dance when I was younger - I forget how old I was when I started to drift more towards sports. But my sister stuck with it and was a beautiful dancer. She still has her pointe shoes (is that right?). I will try to put Chessa in dance at some point. When did your girls start?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you chose dance because of teaching your daughters to be graceful, to teach them discipline and to keep them busy. The many reasons why I loved dancing growing up. Sometimes it irritates me how some people look at it as a way to "show-off". It has nothing to do with showing off, it does so much more. Dancing is courageous because you have the guts to get up in front of people to perform, dancing is discipline and grace, and dancing is beautiful. I didn't do ballet, but I did cheerleading for years and I did Hawaiian and Tahitian dancing for a couple of years as well. My Mother loved how I stayed active and stayed out of trouble and how well behaved I was after being able to slough of all the energy as a kid. As a military family, we know how important it is not only to keep this instilled within ourselves but its something we want to instill in our daughter and any other child(ren) we choose to have.

    Thank you for sharing this, its always nice to hear stories like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stand judgey people. Next time someone judges you, you should tell them to shove it.

    And comments like that are exactly why I'm never going to have mommy friends when I have kids!

    But seriously, I think it's great that you are going to make the girls take dance until they are 12. I took piano lessons and when I said I wanted to quit, my mom let me. And then I did nothing. I wasn't involved in sports because I'm far too uncoordinated and I didn't do any other activities until I was in high school when I did yearbook.

    Looking back, I wish my parents had forced me to stick with it. To learn the discipline. And to learn the skill.

    Good for you, making them stick with it until they are old enough to decide. You really are a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree that dance is a skill--one I also wish I had pursued as a kid! I figure as long as Hannah loves it, she can stay in it. I appreciate your reasoning for choosing the dance studio you did; but I love our dance studio for the way it welcomes all and works hard to make sure every child has a place. It also helps that it came recommended highly from a very good friend and my husband knows one of the teachers from local community theatre! :)

    I have no expectations that Hannah will be going to school on a dance scholarship--but like you, I hope she'll be able to carry herself--inside and out--with the grace and beauty of a dancer. Unlike her uncoordinated mommy, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think 12 is a good age . . . it's an art, just like music lessons or karate. You need to be able to get past "the beginning" to figure out if you'll enjoy it. And, at the age they're at, well - they need to be pushed to get past that, because it's so much easier to learn at their age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's our thinking - it's good to hear it from somebody who has a talent and skill that requires discipline. Not having one myself, well, it's hard to judge the age, how much to push, etc. Right now I don't have to push at all, so it's easy. But I know it's not going to stay way.

    ReplyDelete