Friday, November 18, 2011

Six.Years.Old.

How is that even possible, Sarah? How are you six? You were little for so long and now you're a growing kid. I'm sitting here typing this and remembering your birth. We should have known then what an energy filled child you would be. You came into this world just as you occupy it: with an excitability and energy that I've rarely seen.

I spent the night before you were born thinking, "I can't sleep." So I paced and rocked. At 6:45 I had a contraction. At 7:00 I had a contraction that took my breath away. At 8:00 we were in the car on the way to the hospital. In the car I wanted to push. We got to the hospital at 8:30. They took me right back, as I was 'mooing' with every contraction. But they thought I was over reacting. They were wrong. You were born at 8:54. Two hours, start to finish. It was fast and wonderful, exciting and full of laughter. Just like you.

And now you are six. You are quick to understand everything - it blows my mind how quickly you grasp new concepts and make mental leaps on your own. Everything is exciting - from the leaves that fell this Autumn to learning to read (and read you do. On a first grade level already.) You've embraced kindgertarn with an enthusiam even your sister didn't. You are a whirlwind of energy and light. You are full of laughter and often cry and laugh at the same time. You are kind and giving but incredibly strong willed.

And you are mine.

I hope you have a fantastic day, my sweet girl. I can't wait to hear all the crazy things you will say, see your face when you open your gifts. We have a full day, so let's get your Birthday started :)

(I still don't have a desk top, and spell check doesn't work on my laptop. So please forgive any errors.)

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Sarah!! Hope you guys have a fun day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for little girls! Oh, how I love them! I'm really loving four - tonight, both girls decided they wanted to learn to read. Before bed. Argh! But I can only imagine how fun five and six will be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, little one (despite her advancing age, she'll always be your "little one," right?)!

    I really have a feeling that I'm going to need wine for each & every birthday in Leila's future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buy lots of wine, John. Especially if the party is at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so so late. But it's amazing how the time flies. Six years ago my Ava was born. I just don't understand how you blink and they are beautiful little people. Not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wait. Ava is 6?? I thought 5! I didnt' realize she and Sarah were the same age until I saw your post on her birthday. How crazy! Don't they seem so grown up?

    ReplyDelete