Friday, November 11, 2011

The Girl Who Didn't Run

On Monday I will board a train and head for NYC. Two hours later I'll be in Penn Station. And with a very, very great friend of mine, Karen. Six hours later we'll be at the closing concert of Josh Groban's Illumination tour. Did you miss the important detail there? Karen is the important part. Not Josh.

[caption id="attachment_1592" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Our Philly concert. Karen is on the far left."][/caption]

*gasp*

I met Karen three and a half years ago online. Right about the time I was really losing my mind I started talking to her. Since we only talked online I was able to paint a pretty normal picture of my life. But as we got to know each other better and our talked turned from, "OK, Josh's first CD makes my kids sleep. What's his latest??" to "I have a therapist." She was clued in.

And she didn't run.

Then I went into the hospital. The mental hospital. And I told her.

She didn't run.

I even said to her, "Now I really am some crazy person you met online!"

We met in person, and just laughed and talked for hours. She asked how I was. If I was seeing my therapist. If I was taking my medication. If I felt well. She cared.

And I was some crazy person she'd met online.

Nine months later I called her again to say I'd been back in the hospital. She already knew. My husband had told her when she'd called to check on me because she hadn't heard from me.

Again, she didn't run. She just made sure I was still coming to her house for our girls weekend.

No fear, this girl.

In July we spent our third girls weekend together and went to the Josh Groban concert. Yes, it was a thrill  to see him. But the bigger thrill? Spending that time with Karen. And now, here we are another four months later ready to do it all again. Heading to NYC for a mere 24 hours to act like teenagers, giggle, dance and scream  for this random singer that literally brought us together.

But the greatest part? Karen. The girl who didn't run.

7 comments:

  1. Yay, Karen! I have a couple friends who probably should have run screaming by now, and I really appreciate them for having stuck around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a blog about ME...I'm touched. Gosh, I don't even know where to start with a comment.
    Basically, you were not a "crazy person I met on-line" you were "my friend that I met online". One of my "closest" friends, and we hit it off right from that first official 'scarey' phone call. We talked almost daily, for quite some time, and yes, you DID hide your depression from me VERY WELL, which, if I'm being honest, made me feel like a bad friend. Why? Well, because I felt I should've picked up on it; Heard it in your voice...I don't know, I should've knooown.
    But, regardless, once I accept someone into my heart - I will ALWAYS be there...YOU, are no exception to that.

    So, just know, understand, and accept the fact that whether it be parenting issues, a bad hair day, or depression rearing its ugly head again...I'm here for you.

    And Monday, when we are at the concert, and I'm calmly taking amazing pictures with my phenominal binoculars, while YOU wildly jump around, screaming like a wild woman, I may think, "Wow, she really IS crazy!" but you know what? I STILL won't run away. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a truly beautiful post (funny, I read the title and I thought this was about you wanting to start physically running), and Karen sounds like one of those "you're lucky if you meet one of these people in your lifetime" people.

    But, it's been a long day, so I kept on waiting for the "and then she kissed me..." moment. Because why not :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it wonderful to truly know who your friends are?

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, I can always count on you to make me smile. As soon as I read "it's been a long day" I thought 'uh huh and ??' lol. No kissing, sorry to disappoint. And when I posted it, with this title, I thought the same thing - sounds like it's about me wanting to actually run!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. And you deserve it. Friends like that are the ones you hang on to for dear life.

    ReplyDelete