Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Boys Will Be Boys. Right??

Tell me that your son is crazy clumsy.

Tell me that your son is rambunctious.

Tell me that your son is loud in everything he does.

Tell me that your son is accident prone.

Tell me that your son wears out the knees in his pants in a month, if not less.

Tell me that I am not alone.

John cut his eye. Just the outside corner and this time we didn't need to go to the hospital, thank you Jesus.

He just fell off the couch. My husband doesn't even now what he hit. He just fell and whomp!

Blood.

Cut.

Sadness.

And as a mom I'm feeling guilty. Do I not pay enough attention to him? Do I let him play alone too much?  (what I always thought of as independent play is now making me think I'm just leaving him alone.) I'm questioning all my parenting strategies, beliefs and actions.

All of it.

Because of a cut. Because it's not the first, and I well know it won't be the last.

Is your son like this?

Because I need to know.

13 comments:

  1. Both of my sons are like that. Holes in jeans, rambunctious playing, injuries, you name it.

    And don't feel bad about John playing alone/independent play. Milk that for all it's worth. I'm sure you interact with him plenty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is like that. I can't even begin to imagine what my son will be like. We should buy stock in the BooBooBunny corporation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahem, yes. Both of my kids are like this. And it doesn't matter boys vs. girls, My momma said I was the same.

    Just get a frequent flier card to the ER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hit myself on the head with a rock, jumped off a bridge and landed on my face, broke my leg riding a mechanical horse out side the grocery store,almost hung myself trying to swing out of a tree with a rope, tried to jump a creek with my bike (not successful) and whipped myself with a bull whip trying to knock an apple off a tree. Not sure where John gets it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my son cut his head open when he was about 4. While playing with a friend in his room. For years and years I didn't know how it happened (required several stitches). Then when he was about 15 he told me. They were dancing on top of the dresser. You cannot be everywhere every minute, that would not be healthy for either of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, boys are like this . . . girls can be, too . . . Leila seems to be picking up on some of CJ's more daredevil ways. Bumps & bruises & cuts are going to happen . . . you're not always going to know where they came from.

    All you can do is teach him to take care of himself, how to properly wash a cut to avoid infection, and pray that your lessons take root.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm laughing at your husband's comment. Yeah, can't imagine where he gets it!

    Some kids are just like this. Devin? Not so much. But Dracen? Well, you've read my blog enough to know that he is exactly like this too. Not good for the nerves, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO not good for the nerves. Kids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm trying to remember this. Everytime he does something that makes my heart lurch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They do know me at the ER. It's very sad. More than one nurse/doctor has looked at me and said, "Don't I know you?" And I want to tell them, "Don't say that. I don't want you to know me!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have boo boo Thomas the Tank, and we should definatley buy some stock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you :) This boy is going to break me -- financially and emotionally!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My body is covered in bruises. I have a massive purple bruise on my thigh that's about the size of a large cookie. I don't even know how I did it. I am the clumsiest person in life. I'm not a boy, and I'm watching myself. Do NOT feel bad. I always have been clumsy and I always will be. It's our place in life ;)

    ReplyDelete