Thursday, March 15, 2012

Apparently I'm A Size 8 . . . And A 10 .. . Also A 12 and 14

Really.

Yesterday I went shopping for new jeans. This was far worse than swimsuit shopping - no lie. I tried on 25 pair of jeans - I sat down and attempted to count when I got home and that's the number I came up with.

I walked into the store wearing a pair of size 12's that were too big, so common sense says that I should walk out in 10's, correct?

WRONG.

Eventually I walked out with a pair of 14's.

I also bought a pair of slacks in a 12.

A pair of 10's also fit in the thighs/crotch and rear but gave me muffin top. And another 10 fit everywhere but was made for a 6'2 woman. I'm 5'2.

I tried on every desinger in the store - from Levi's to Vera Wang to Lauren Conrad. Thanks to Lauren Conrad I walked out thinking my calves are massive. I couldn't even get my calves in a size 14. Who are we making these clothes for?

I hated them all.

I figured that Vera Wang, at the 'higher end' of the store and $58 would have the better, truer fit.

Uhm, wrong. Evidently her jeans are cut to fit her. Except for a pair of jeans with this really cute cuff that would look adorable on the beach. You know the look, you roll up your jeans and splash in the surf with your kids and friends, your hair blowing all around attractively while you wear a white mans shirt and your husband looks on, shirtless, all buff, oiled up and smelling good? Your kids are blonde and there is a picinic waiting that doesnt' have sand in it. Yeah, those jeans. I looked adorable. Then I had to step off the beach and picture myself picking up the kids at the bus stop or John up at school. And suddenly the jeans weren't so cute so anymore.

Stupid beach jeans.

I also tried Jennifere Lopez's new line, hoping for a curvier fit. Again, not so much. I couldn't get the 12's over my thighs. Over.my.thighs. COME ON PEOPLE.

Anyway. I bought the 14's, even though I was unhappy with them -- not the size, because obviously size does not matter.

In my closet at this very moment I have - and they all fit: shorts in a size 8, jeans in sizes 10 and 12.

Now, I'll admitt I'm returning the 14's - but not because they are a 14, but because I'm still not happy with the fit and I'm just so fed up with the store I bought them from.

So, I'm sick of it all. I'm returning the jeans and going back to The Loft. I'm tearing the tags out of my pants and giving a big ole finger to designers and their definition of sizes, what's attractive and the real, true beauty of women.

23 comments:

  1. (this is why I love men's sizing)

    However, I'm having the same issue with jeans lately. Maybe it's because my thighs are larger than normal, for my size, but I'll fight to get jeans over my thighs, only to find that I need to wear a belt with them, because the waist is far too big.

    And, I guess, because I have no ass, if I find a pair of jeans that fits, mostly, when I'm sitting, they're too long when I'm walking, meaning that I sometimes step on the hem with the heels of my shoes.

    Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had great luck with jeans from The Loft. I don't care - at all - what the brown tag on the butt says, as long as the jeans fit. Try Gap, too. They have really helpful descriptions of cut vs. fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH....that sucks! I can't stand shopping for clothes anymore. Everything fits differently. My favorite jeans are definitely Lucky Brand though. They are expensive but they fit REALLY well. You might want to try there. They go by waist measurement instead of an actual size. Their super stretch ones are the best....so comfy and fit so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HATE shopping for jeans and pants! I am so hard to fit on the bottom half. If I get them to fit my booty, there is usually the giant gap at the back in the waist. I have one pair of J.Lo's jeans in a light gray color that fit me well so I went back and tried on another pair, made almost the same way but different color and one size up was too tight. WTH?! I feel your pain, girl. I.feel.your.pain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I feel your pain. I have a pair of American Eagle jeans (seriously, try those!) in a size 12 that are literally falling off of me. I had Jdaddy buy me 10's for my birthday, and oh my lord. They were soooo tight I could barely button them. They went back. Apparently the difference between their sizes is huge. But, they are most comfortable jeans ever. I also like Express jeans (Eva bootcut), but they are pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try designer jeans...seriously worth the $80+ price tag!! I bought Silver brand jeans and LOVE them!!! Every time I wear them they fit! You deserve them after your 5K!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pant shopping is the worst kind of shopping. No two brands are alike and it's annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this post... especially your beach scene, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been to the store where you were...and I can tell you that they have the worst selection of jeans ever. And Lauren Conrad clearly thinks we are all a size 2.

    I actually went to Dress Barn and found the perfect jeans there. I have now bought them in three different sizes so that I will always have the perfect jeans while I continue to lose weight. If you have one near you I suggest you give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to go look for one. I did find some great jeans at The Loft last Friday, but just one pair, so I definately need to find one more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's worse than bathing suit shopping for me at this point. At least the sizes are true in bathing suits.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Denise, I like how you think! Where do I find Silver brand?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think those two stores are in the Mall near me, I'll check them out, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found the CUTEST pair at Ann Taylor's The Loft on Friday! And they were only $34 - I was totally willing to pay full price for them. I'm going to look at Ann Taylor this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It really shouldn't be this hard, should it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're about the 3rd person who has mentioned Lucky brand to me. I'm going to have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just found a pair at The Loft on Friday. When I put them on my 5 year old son said, "mommy those look good. They look TOO good." No such thing, buddy, no such thing. Needless to say, they are in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Men's sizing is MUCH better than womens, dammit. Although your problem is part of what I'm talking about. Sorry your experiencing jean insainity as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Designers think they do people favors by making the sizing different but it just makes things more complicated! So annoying. I love me some good Banana Republic jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Where on the same truck. I really do have problems like sizing. Well, it's hard to accept and be happy.

    ReplyDelete