Monday, March 12, 2012

The 5K Plus One More

(First, Nancy? You're husband was the greatest coach on Sunday. Thank you for letting me borrow him.)

So Sunday was my 5k. I've been training for it since January - actually training for it. I even managed to pull out a 3 mile run the Thursday before the race (more on that later) so I thought, "I think maybe I can do this again."

Uhm, well, erm. No.

There were hills, people. Hills.

The course went through the city, along the river, up and  down some hills. Which meant I had to come back up those *insert special words* hills. I'm sure it was a pretty run, but since I was looking at the pavement the entire time I really have no idea.

Coming down the first set of hills, just after we started, I panicked in my head. My oh so steady pace must faltered because my running partner, Nick (who was a so amazing for me through this) said, "just set back into them. Nice and easy down hill." To which I replied, in a whiny voice, "But I have to come back up these hills!!"

So  my inner dialogue for this race was a lot of : OMG I cannot pull this out. What was I thinking. The track I trained on was flat. Why didn't I think of that when I read the route for this? Didn't it say "great for beginners"? Aren't I a beginner? Was that a 7 year old who just passed  me? I cannot believe that I am walking. This sucks. Wait. Did that 7 year old just pass me going the other way. Oh it's on."

But I had to walk one (two?) more times because of those *special* hills. Nick encouraged me so much and got me the last 1/4 mile in an ugly jog crossing the finishing line at 44:22. Poor guy never broke a sweat.

So, I didn't make my goal. I didn't run the entire race. But after I get done here I'm finding a flat race along the river front and trying again.

Now, the Plus One More part . . .

I did do 3 miles on Thursday. And it went like this:

OUT LOUD

I can't do this, Dear Lord I cannot do this. I've got a mile and a half left.

*faltering steps, shuffling jogs*

~Eye of the Tiger comes on~

That's RIGHT I am the eye of the tiger. Me.

I got this.

Jog Jog Jog

Oh, God, I can't do this. 2 miles in.

*More faltering steps, calf cramp. Tears. Ugly tears.*

How will I do this on Sunday??

~Oh Micki~ comes on

Oh Micki I'M so fine! I own this road. This is my road.

(still, all of this? OUT LOUD)

~More ugliness at 2 1/2~

*Pink's You're a Rock Star comes on*

That's right. I'm a rock star. I got my rock moves. This is my race. I own it. I trained for this.

And I  pull out 3.2 miles. Tears and all.

Now the trick is to do this during an actual 5K - without the need to talk to myself or cry halfway through it. :)

Who's with me? (on a flat course. A very flat course. Also? I've found the race/races. So . . .)

 

18 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Even though you didn't run the whole way, you still completed a 5k, and that's definitely something to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be proud of yourself!!! You finished a 5K!!! Your first one...now you can work on your next goal for your next 5K and your next!!! They get addicting!! And I know about those d&!" hills! Buggers aren't they!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all.....YOU ROCK!! You did it!! You did a 5K! :)

    Second...you want flat?? You need to do Shamrock next year! It's completely flat! It's an 8K which is 5 miles. But you have a whole year to train! :) And your girls could run the one mile race, which is so much fun!! You need to come down to VA Beach and do Shamrock with us next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can so do it! I am so proud of you for pushing yourself! I need to get some flashy Pom poms for you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing better than running along with music. Keep at it girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can borrow Nick anytime, Kim! Nick was happy to do it! :) Congrats again...you should be very proud. Now, I'm off to the gym. Yes, gym. No running for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on finishing the race! That's an amazing accomplishment even if you didn't meet your goal! Woohoo you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so damn proud of you. Hills are a mofo. I hate them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, I've run three marathons . . . whenever I encounter hills, I still have to talk myself through them. Don't feel discouraged by having to self-pep-talk yourself. You're a rock star -- you did it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to you for finishing...even if you had to walk a bit. I did a half marathon once and I walked a bunch of it...but I crossed the finish line running...as opposed to crawling or being carried over...and that was good enough for me. Music is totally the key. I had programmed by iPod to play the Rocky theme at about mile 8...and it came on just as I wanted to give up. It totally reenergized me for the finish. Good luck with the next race...you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! And a half marathon? WOW! Congrats to you! I'm hoping to do another 5K, I just have to actually go sing up for it now . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks John. :) The next one I do is described as 'flat and fast.' I don't think I'll be fast, but that 'flat' part? I'm all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was stunned when I saw that first hill - I knew I was seriously screwed. But the next race I'm signing up for is described as 'flat and fast' so at least I know I'm good one way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would LOVE to see you cheering with some flashy pom poms. Oh just that image . . .:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trust me, I"m thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've already got my next 5k picked out . . . April 28. Flat and fast the description says. So, the flat part is all I care about!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you! Hoping to run the entire way in the next one. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete