Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mommy-a!

Mommy-a!

Mommy-a!

Mommy-a!

John yells this fifty thousand times a day.

When he needs a drink.

When he needs a hug.

When he's hurt.

When he needs his bum wiped.

When he wants to tell me he loves me.

When he's dropped a toy.

When he's  got a hangnail.

When he wants me smile.

Or frown.

Do you get the picture?

And only I can solve the problem, whatever the problem or question or request is.

Not Daddy.

Never Daddy. Not right now.

Not for the past two weeks or so. And it's grating on my last nerve.

So the other night as we were getting ready for bed and my husband was helping, John started in.

Mommy-a!

Mommy-a!

Only my husband was dressing him and is perfectly capable of doing this without my help or input.

John kept yelling for me.

My husband kept saying, "What do you want? I'm right here. Tell me."

John kept yelling.

I was in the kids bathroom and if I left John would totally see me. So I hid behind the door.

For about four minutes. Which doesn't seem long now, but was an eternity at the time.

My husband dressed John while John yelled for me and my husband insisted that he could help if only John would tell him what he wanted.

No such luck.

Finally John was dressed and had stopped yelling for me. He walked out into the hallway.

I left the bathroom.

He saw me.

"Mommy-a! I need to ask you something!"

"John! Ask Daddy. He can help you."

"Will Sarah and I be in the same room at the Y tomorrow?"

Oh.

Yeah. I guess only I can answer that one.

So I untill John is through this stage I suppose I just keep answering him, knowing that it's only a stage and it too shall pass.

13 comments:

  1. Buster is like that with me. Buddy always prefers Daddy, but Buster prefers me for the most part. It is maddening, but I try and remind myself that someday I will miss this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This drives me nuts...and I know that when he is out of my home and onto his life I will chew these words and want him to be back here with me depending on me.
    Sigh.
    But yes, it is annoying. Especially when they can say your name in 29374283742 different tones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy, I can so relate. They have gotten a bit better, but for quite a while, my twins BOTH did it to me. I almost went crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. I won't miss those moments. Other ones? Yes. Being small? Yes. Having them scream down the hall at me repeatedly until my ears bleed?

    No.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK - is this like "MommyAGHHH!" or "Mommy Aye"? Either way, I get ya. I hear the first...dragged out ahhhhh" at the end.

    I swear, Mr. Kiss could be standing IN the fridge, and they will walk up 2 flights of stairs where I'm in the shower to ask me for a glass of milk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate too, J is like this, and always has been. He is most especially this way at bedtime, no one and I mean, no one, else can put him to bed without hysterics. I too comfort myself with the idea that it is only a phase, like everything else and with the fact that I am lucky to be able to do it, someday I know I won't be able to fix everything in his world so easily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try to remember exactly this. You said it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's 'Mommy-ahh!" And that's exactly what he does! I can be in the shower and he needs me and only me to get him milk. Sigh. But I know it will end. And then I will miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol. Yeah, I won't miss being the ONLY one who can wipe his bum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. No joke. And with the twins, good times!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it amazing how many different ways they can say one single name?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know someday I'll miss his wanting me, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol. I'm sorry mama. It's good to be loved, but mama needs a break!

    ReplyDelete