Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Target and Kids: It's An Odessy

I took the kids to Target this morning with a very short list of things I needed:

*shorts for me

*play dress for Sarah

*cat food

*q-tips

*night gown for me

*shirt for me

*thermometer covers

I stuck to my list and it was easy peasy.

*snort*

I had to try on five pairs of shorts, two pairs of Capri's and three shirts. Therefore we had 'dressing room conversation.'  If you've never had 'dressing room conversation,' it goes a little like this:

Mom, what are those dimples on the back of your thighs?

~ I have no dimples. Look away. Liar liar pants on fire. (glaring at child)

Mommy, what is that?

~ what?

All that squishy stuff above the button of your shorts.

~Nothing. These shorts lie. I just lost 15 pounds. Your mom is HOT. These shorts lie. Moving on . . .(more glaring)

Mommy, why can I see your bra when you put on your shirt?

~Because it's too thin.

Why is it too thin?

~We're moving on again . . .

Mommy what is that? (pointing to my tattoo, which is usually hidden.) (for the record, I have no problem with tattoo's, on other people. I don't like explaining mine to my kids.)

~We'll discuss it when you're older.  Why are you in here?

Ohhh, those shorts are tooooo short. I can see those dimples again.

~And again, I call you a liar. There are no dimples. (throwing shorts in corner. Using very special words in my head)

Finally, shorts and and a pair of Capri's are found, two shirts that are not tissue thin are thrown in the cart. We rush into the lingerie department.

Oh, please. What in the world was I thinking??? I have three children with me. It doesn't matter that I just want an overs sized t-shirt as night gown. I have to walk through bras, thongg, sexy night gowns, etc. John's eyes are roving everywhere and his hands are reaching for satin, lace and brocade. Obviously men are born to enjoy this. I'm torn between horror and complete amusement.

Sarah is happily jumping in between racks, making mazes of Spanx and panty hose. Violet is eye-ing the lace bra's and I can see her mind racing, wondering when she'll be old enough for that. As she reaches for one I put out a burst of speed and race us past them to the modest pajama's. The three of them are bickering, laughing, and revving a car engine the entire time this is going on. Generally letting the entire store know that my children are here, so watch out!

I'm reduced to begging after our 'dressing room conversation.' So I'm saying things like, "What did I ask of you? To give me this time. It's been 20 minutes. About 10 minutes too long. Please. Just stop. Let me grab this. Stop it. Knock it off. Please. Did you hear me?" At one point I say, "This is supposed to be Mommy Time. Yeah. Pretty lousy Mommy Time." And I hear a lady start to laugh two rows over.

Eventually I grab a night gown - of some unknown color, race through the kids clothes and find nothing for Sarah. But I've completed my list and we've only been in the store for 30 minutes.

30 minutes.

Success! Glory!

But I still didn't get out of there under 100 dollars.

 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like u really need the convention lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you had a tattoo, and now I'm all curious-like. I'm starting a sleeve, sometime, that will be a fun one to explain to the kids. I actually wonder if my having tattoos will make them want tattoos any less, when they're of age.

    And damn, are kids liars when pointing out stuff on their parents' bodies, aren't they? I don't have love handles -- I seriously don't, yet if I go 10 minutes without a shirt, I'll have a kid clinging to what would be love handles on any other person.

    About the underwear, yeah, I got nothing - I have many reasons for which I'm thankful to have a penis, not having to worry about anything besides utilitarian underwear is high on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everytime we enter Target, Leila makes a beeline for a mirror in the bathing suits, usually crawling behind it. So not only do I have to drag her out I have to do it among bikinis. I usual bribe with juice boxes and popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m torn between horror and complete amusement its sounds like you need to attend the convention..

    ReplyDelete
  5. 30 minutes! That's impressive. I took my kids to Sears yesterday and tried on a few things. I regretted it immediately, even though the comments weren't as bad as they were the time I took them to try on swimsuits. ("Mommy!" they gasped between belly laughs, "You look so big in that!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha! Hilarious! Solo is just starting the sooo fun stage of saying whatever comes to mind with zero filter. love.

    ReplyDelete