Monday, August 20, 2012

Lazy Days With Grandma

On Tuesday we went to my in laws in New Jersey with the hope that my husband would get to kayak the Delaware and fish while Sarah and John and I hung out with Grandma and Grandpa. I took my knitting and some work, knowing the kids would be entertained by the new "old" toys at Grandma's and the brook in her yard.

Only it started raining about 10 minutes from their house, a huge deluge of water that kept my husband out of the river. To say he was upset is an understatement. He'd taken time off from work and was looking forward to this so much.

So we hung out. And did a whole lot of nothing. Nothing that included the kids playing Mr. Piggly Wiggly with Grandma and Daddy teaching the kids how to play Domino's - not the stand up and crash down kind, but the old man at the table in the park kind.

They loved it! (and so did Daddy. Then they played the stand up and crash down type.)

We had a lovely lunch and it stopped raining. So the kids got on their swimsuits and climbed down into the brook while my husband 'fished.' This is how the fishing goes:

Cast the line.

Snag a very dumb fish.

Toss said fish at children.

Children scream in fear.

Children beg for more.

Cast the line.

Catch a fish. Toss a fish. Scream. Beg.

 

I don't understand the game, but it never changes and the kids initiate it every time we are there and it's warm enough to be in the brook.

Incidently, this is the same brook my husband grew up fishing, building dams in and riding his canoe down -- and no, it's not that big.Canoes should not go down this part.

They all splashed and ran and screamed while there. Grandma and Daddy were in on all the action.

They built a huge dam that took about an hour to complete. John laughed and screamed, jumped and dunked himself in the new, deeper water.

Sarah stood on the bridge and declared: I don't walk in wet grass. You can carry  me.

*snort* Like that's going to happen.

I took pictures and giggled. Did some knitting and chatted with my mother in law.

In the end it was a great day -- all saved by Domino's and a dam.

 

9 comments:

  1. What fun! You were building such great memories for your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that sounds like a truly magnificent day.

    I love the "scream" but then ask for more . . . something my own kids would do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband throws fish at your children? Man I have missed your blog, lol. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a really great day filled with some awesome memories. I bet they can't wait to go "fishing" again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really was a great-- undexpected --day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, he throws fish at them. And they love it. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really was an amazing day -- we have to remember to notice these small days, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where was the missing kid? Did I miscount?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No miscount -- Violet was at Bible camp. :)

    ReplyDelete